Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Danny_Davis
Frequent Visitor

Page level and report level filter restriction

Hello,

This may be because I am using the free version of Power BI, but is there a way to restrict those that I share my dashboard and report with from changing the page/report level filters? I would much rather have one large data set and be able to re-create the same report just by using page/report level filters.

That may seem confusing, so here is an example:

-My report is connected to an access database that contains data for 10 different teams.

-There are 10 different teams that I am creating a dashboard/report for.

-I only want the teams to be able to see their own teams data and report.

-I want to be able to create one report, and then copy and paste it into 9 other reports (one for each team) and simply just change the page level filters for each team.

My current understanding and concern is that someone could simply go to the page/report level filters on their report and change it to see the other teams data and report.

My current solution is to just create a query in Access for each team, and then create 10 reports that are connected to their respective query, but this can be very time consuming.

Is there a way to restrict the user that I share the report with from changing the page/report level filters on the free version or even the paid version of Power BI?

Thanks!

-Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

The only data security natively available in any version of Power BI is binary: access to all of a published dataset, or no access to a published dataset.

The only sources that support role-based security are SSAS Multidimensional and Tabular when accessed via the AS Connector or Enterprise Gateway in a live connection. Any other data source will be queried or refreshed based on stored credentials (by default those of the report publisher in most cases) and will only have the binary access/no access security described above.

Filters are explicitly not a security feature. Any attempt to utilize them as such is misinformed and ill-advised.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

The only data security natively available in any version of Power BI is binary: access to all of a published dataset, or no access to a published dataset.

The only sources that support role-based security are SSAS Multidimensional and Tabular when accessed via the AS Connector or Enterprise Gateway in a live connection. Any other data source will be queried or refreshed based on stored credentials (by default those of the report publisher in most cases) and will only have the binary access/no access security described above.

Filters are explicitly not a security feature. Any attempt to utilize them as such is misinformed and ill-advised.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.