Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Page-Level Filter based on logged user

Hi,

I'm trying to create report that contains 1. page with all data and 2. page with data filtered out just for currently logged user.

(Business case is to have overview of opened requests for each user. On the 1st page anyone can see all opened requests and on the 2nd page he would see only his own - just for user convenience).

I'm struggling with it, because I thought I could use USERNAME() somewhere in filters, but apparently it is not possible, as it is not possible to create calculated collumn based on username 😞

Also I cannot apply RLS on my case, because I still want the users to see all the other data.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions 🙂

Zuzana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

Currently as I know, the security in Power BI is just on Row level which is Row Level Security (RLS). And there already exists an Idea for the Page Level Security. You can vote it up.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/16059178-page-tab-level-security

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

Currently as I know, the security in Power BI is just on Row level which is Row Level Security (RLS). And there already exists an Idea for the Page Level Security. You can vote it up.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/16059178-page-tab-level-security

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Well that kinda sucks (>ε<  )  My supervisor just asked me to try to find a way to implement this very thing for all of our future reports.  Now I guess I have to give him the bad news.  Hopefully this feature gets enough votes and recognised to be put in a future update, that'd be nice.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

FYI I was able to evade this problem by solution which is not really very nice, but it is functional. I divided this report into 2 separate files that are linked by hypertext link in note at each page.  RLS for first report (Overview Report) is based on something else (or it could be without RLS at all) and second report (My Tasks Report) is based on UserName(). User is still able to se everything on 1.st report and then by clicking on that hypertext link he gets into My Tasks Report, which is filtered just for him. Only thing that is kind of unpleasant right now is that by clicking on hyperlink, the target pops up in new window.. but this is general problem of all PBI links. I hope MS will add some kind of solution to roadmap soon.

Z.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.