Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brianjsvehaug
Regular Visitor

Page-Level Filter NOW() - 1

I have a page on which I have created a Backlog report for issues in a customer service environment. I'm using TicketCompletionDate and filtering on Blanks. Currently, I have to manually go in and deselect the current date in the page-level filter, otherwise I will get tickets that were just opened 5 minutes ago, as they should not be considered backlog.

I have created a measure:

=NOW() - 1 

I would like to add the above measure as a page level filter, so that when others view my report, they automatically see the tickets where TicketCreationDate is as of/before 24 hrs ago. This would remove any manual filtering on my part or the part of the end users.

Is this something that's possible in PowerBI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
leonardmurphy
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Nikil (& Idanco) are correct in that you can't just filter by NOW() - 1. The model doesn't know how NOW()-1 is related to TicketCompletionDate. 

Nikil's first option (don't bring in the more recent tickets) works if you don't have other reports where you do want to include those tickets. Assuming you do, you have to go for a (calculated) column that you can dynamically filter on. 

If you have a date table in your model, you could actually add a calculated column to that table to identify whether the date is before today or not. E.g. =if([Date]>=NOW()-1,"N", "Y"). That makes the "before today" filter available to anything that uses dates in your model, rather than just being limited to tickets. With a date table you can also get more sophisticated and have Y/N columns for MTD, YTD, Last Month, etc. 

If you don't have a date table, =if([TicketCompletionDate]>=NOW()-1,"N","Y") will do the same thing, but just for ticket completions.

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
dinup
Frequent Visitor

How to make current year as a page level filter
leonardmurphy
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Nikil (& Idanco) are correct in that you can't just filter by NOW() - 1. The model doesn't know how NOW()-1 is related to TicketCompletionDate. 

Nikil's first option (don't bring in the more recent tickets) works if you don't have other reports where you do want to include those tickets. Assuming you do, you have to go for a (calculated) column that you can dynamically filter on. 

If you have a date table in your model, you could actually add a calculated column to that table to identify whether the date is before today or not. E.g. =if([Date]>=NOW()-1,"N", "Y"). That makes the "before today" filter available to anything that uses dates in your model, rather than just being limited to tickets. With a date table you can also get more sophisticated and have Y/N columns for MTD, YTD, Last Month, etc. 

If you don't have a date table, =if([TicketCompletionDate]>=NOW()-1,"N","Y") will do the same thing, but just for ticket completions.

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.

Thank you, Leonard! This has completed resolved my issue. Smiley Happy

idanco
Advocate II
Advocate II

What you can do - is add a calculated column "TimePassed" which will be calculated as Now()-TicketDate

And use this as a filter in report

Idanco - forgive me if I misunderstand you - but I don't see how this would address my issue. NOW() - TicketDate would return different values for each ticket.

I have the right calculation (NOW() - 1). It returns exactly what I need, I just need to learn how to make the report only return values that are on or before NOW() - 1.

Would love some other suggestions!

Measures cannot be added to Page filter.

Options you have are:

1. Control the data in the Get Data query, to limit it to get only rows that you want into the data model
  2. As previously mentioned, create a calcuated column that will flag all the rows that are not today. Something like  =IF(NOW() - TicketDate)='12/30/1899',"N","Y"). Use this flag to filter the report

Ideally, I would go with option 1

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.