Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PRODUCTX for filter groups in BOM

Hello,

I am trying to find the product of the 'Exploded BOM'[Backflush Qty] of an exploded BOM. I have the following formula BW_Test1 which is able to calculate a BOM correctly which has a single parent-child relationship.

BW_Test1 =
CALCULATE (
    PRODUCTX (
        SUMMARIZE (
            'Exploded BOM',
            'Exploded BOM'[TopParentProduct],
            'Exploded BOM'[Level],
            'Exploded BOM'[Backflush Qty]
        ),
    ),
    FILTER (
        ALLEXCEPT ( 'Exploded BOM', 'Exploded BOM'[TopParentProduct] ),
        'Exploded BOM'[Level] <= EARLIER ( 'Exploded BOM'[Level] )
    )
)

However I'm running into the following problem in the example below, where there are multiple child components at the level 1 (Multiple branches of the BOM tree). The PRODUCTX function is not correctly calculating for the grouping in TopParentProduct and Level.

ScotlandFollowup1.PNG

Item #101546 has 3 level 1 children - 25% OLEO, PM6MR, and HFE. HFE and 25% OLEO have no children of their own so the calculation would stop there; however, PM6MR has one more child at level 3, XRMD.

The formula is shown in BW_Test1 as a calculated column. The answer showing for BW_Test1 for Item Number HFE should be 0.00235840 and 0.02538 for 25% OLEO, while the answer for PM6MR should be 0.004913568 (0.02538 multiplied by 0.19360).

I created columns of each item in the BOM heirarchy as a way to further group the items (BIL1-BIL4), and by doing this with modification to the ALLEXCEPT filter, it seems to work for this example by this modification.

BW_Test1 =
CALCULATE (
    PRODUCTX (
        SUMMARIZE (
            'Exploded BOM',
            'Exploded BOM'[Level],
        ),
    ),
    FILTER (
        ALLEXCEPT (
            'Exploded BOM',
            'Exploded BOM'[BIL1]
        ),
    )
)

This then generates the correct results:

ScotlandFollowup2.PNG

However, now I run up against another issue with the parent split on an item like the following where there is a multiple child split at level 2 in the BOM:

ScotlandFollowup3.PNG

Adding BIL2, BIL3, BIL4 etc to the filter does not achieve the results I'm looking for. Do you have any ideas on how I can use the BIL1/2/3/4 groupings to apply the PRODUCTX function to account for these multiple child situations?

Thank you!

@v-jiascu-msft tagged for prior assistance (thank you)

Blake

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

Another approach is as follows. Please give it try. I hope you didn't share anything confidential. The link here is public to all.  

BW_Test2 =
CALCULATE (
    PRODUCTX (
        SUMMARIZE (
            'Exploded BOM',
            'Exploded BOM'[TopParentProduct],
            'Exploded BOM'[Level],
            'Exploded BOM'[Backflush Qty]
        ),
    ),
    FILTER (
        ALLEXCEPT ( 'Exploded BOM', 'Exploded BOM'[TopParentProduct] ),
        'Exploded BOM'[Level] <= EARLIER ( 'Exploded BOM'[Level] )
            && SEARCH ( [Component], EARLIER ( [PathExplode] ), 1, 0 ) > 0
    )
)

The last row isn't 0.1936. Is that OK? 

PRODUCTX-for-filter-groups-in-BOM

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Blake,

I'm afraid I can't follow what you are looking for. Especially the last part. Can you also share a simple that we can copy with or download, please?

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dale,

My apologies on the confusion. I can't attach the PBIX file directly, so I've linked it here: 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YgNIVSIqgt1TI425J4riQjBunm80j3G2

The ultimate goal here is for PRODUCTX to calculate the product of the [Backflush Qty] at each level of the BOM for each BOM branch. By creating BIL1,BIL2,BIL3,BIL4, I was hoping to develop a grouping mechanism by which this would be solvable with smaller manipulation of the existing BW_Test1 formula. My hope was that by modifying the BW_Test1 formula to the following, that it would correctly aggregate; however it does not.

BW_Test1 =
CALCULATE (
    PRODUCTX (
        SUMMARIZE (
            'Exploded BOM',
            'Exploded BOM'[Level],
        ),
    ),
    FILTER (
        ALLEXCEPT (
            'Exploded BOM',
            'Exploded BOM'[BIL1],
            'Exploded BOM'[BIL2],
            'Exploded BOM'[BIL3],
            'Exploded BOM'[BIL4]
        ),
    )
)

In the example of 101566, the current structure is the following:

101566 Exploded BOM.PNG

The formula is currently calculating the following results, and needs to instead be producing the desired results attached. Can this be calculated with the current structure?

Current Results.PNG

Expected Results.PNG

Thanks,
Blake

Hi @Anonymous,

Another approach is as follows. Please give it try. I hope you didn't share anything confidential. The link here is public to all.  

BW_Test2 =
CALCULATE (
    PRODUCTX (
        SUMMARIZE (
            'Exploded BOM',
            'Exploded BOM'[TopParentProduct],
            'Exploded BOM'[Level],
        ),
    ),
    FILTER (
        ALLEXCEPT ( 'Exploded BOM', 'Exploded BOM'[TopParentProduct] ),
        'Exploded BOM'[Level] <= EARLIER ( 'Exploded BOM'[Level] )
            && SEARCH ( [Component], EARLIER ( [PathExplode] ), 1, 0 ) > 0
    )
)

The last row isn't 0.1936. Is that OK? 

PRODUCTX-for-filter-groups-in-BOM

Best Regards,

Hi @Anonymous,

have you checked this article?: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/06/13/bill-of-material-bom-explosion-part2-costing-in-excel-and-powerbi/

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @ImkeF,

The solution shown in the article is actually very close to what I want to achieve. Because the UOM does not always equate to EA, I have to aggregate based on a product of the Backflush Qty at each level of the BOM. Your BOM explosion method should look familiar in some of my columns, as it was incredibly helpful to explode the BOM. I am having difficulty taking the new table and adapting it to your M code for the bridge table. 

Firstly, there doesn't exist a ComponentID, just the Component and Backflush Qty. This, combined with the PathExplodeCode causes errors when I try and run the query to create the bridge table. 

I am really looking for more of a DAX solution, as I really am new to M code; however, I believe your solution is very close to what I'm hoping to achieve.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Blake

Your data structure is different to what I use in my blogposts, as you don't have a unique key in your source table. So the "Backflush Qty" you're interested in is only specific if you use a combination between "Item Number" and "Component". As I don't know the reasons for this, I cannot make suggestions how to handle this. But if you add this column to your table, you will get a lot of correct results - apart from the last level where there is no value:

Column = 
Var Level1 = CALCULATE(Max('Exploded BOM'[Backflush Qty]);FILTER(ALL('Exploded BOM'); 'Exploded BOM'[Component] = EARLIER([BIl1]) && 'Exploded BOM'[Item Number] = EARLIER([TopParentProduct])))
Var Level2 = CALCULATE(MIN('Exploded BOM'[Backflush Qty]);FILTER(ALL('Exploded BOM'); 'Exploded BOM'[Component] = EARLIER([BIl2]) && 'Exploded BOM'[Item Number] = EARLIER([BIL1])))
Var Level3 = CALCULATE(MIN('Exploded BOM'[Backflush Qty]);FILTER(ALL('Exploded BOM'); 'Exploded BOM'[Component] = EARLIER([BIl3]) && 'Exploded BOM'[Item Number] = EARLIER([BIL2]))) 
Var Level4 = CALCULATE(MIN('Exploded BOM'[Backflush Qty]);FILTER(ALL('Exploded BOM'); 'Exploded BOM'[Component] = EARLIER([BIl4]) && 'Exploded BOM'[Item Number] = EARLIER([BIL3])))
Return
SWITCH('Exploded BOM'[Level];
"0";BLANK();
"1";Level1;
"2";Level1 * Level2;
"3";Level1 * Level2 * Level3;
"4";Level1 * Level2 * Level3 * Level4)
/*

As you might have seen already, the last levels are missing an entry in the "Bil"-column. So once you have managed that, this code for the values in a column should work alright.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.