cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PBIn00b Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PREVIOUSDAY isn't working... help?

I am attempting to get a previous day's value.  Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working for me.  Here is the formula I am using:

Previous Day Sales = CALCULATE(SUM('table'order_total]),PREVIOUSDAY('table'[ship_date]))

When I attempt to put it in the report I get (Blank).  I know there is data in both the date and the order total fields for the previous day.  I can get TOTALYTD and TOTALMTD to work fine using the following so the dates seem fine.

YTD Total Sales = TOTALYTD(SUM('table'[order_total]),'table'[ship_date])

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisHaas Established Member
Established Member

Re: PREVIOUSDAY isn't working... help?

Hey PBIn00b -

Are you using a a calendar table?  It's best practice to use a calendar table with a continuous range of dates.  That way even if your business doesn't run 24/7, your date table has 1 row for EVERY day in the year(s).

There are many resources to create a standard or custom calendar.  I would recommend looking at PowerPivotPro's post here and Matt Allington's post here.

Once you create a calendar table, you can create a relationship between the [CalendarDate] and 'table'[ship_date].  Power BI will take care of the rest.

My thought is that for your given filter context, there is no data with a ship date that's 1 day earlier?  Can't confirm without seeing your data.

Hope this helps!

~ Chris

PBIn00b Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Hi ChrisHaas, thanks for your reply.

I do have a calendar table.  There is a relationship between my ship date and my calendar table.

I checked the raw data and there are definitely orders from yesterday.

Also, I created another formula:

Yesterday = RELATED('ordertable'[Yesterday Sales])*'itemtable'[SKU Qty]

In the order table I set up a reference column that gives a 1 or a 0 if the date is yesterday. Then I just ask the formula to multiply that by the number of items sold. So 1 * items sold or 0 * items sold.  I know there are other ways, but I wanted a very direct / basic visual of what was working or not.  In this case I get data from yesterday.

I also feel like if it was a problem with my calendar table the MTD and YTD functions wouldn't work properly.

Moderator v-sihou-msft

@PBIn00b

As I tested, when we directly import a date column into table visual, and include a calculated measure with PREVIOUSDAY() function, I reproduced same issue as yours. The measure return all BLANK().

Capture3.PNG

Capture1.PNG

However, I find if we build a date hierarchy with the date column and import the data field under hierarchy, the measure works properly.

Capture2.PNG

I would recommend you sumbit this issue as potential bug on Idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi. We will also report this issue internally.

Highlighted
Vicky_Song Established Member
Established Member

@PBIn00b, thanks for reporting it. Your issue can be reproduced and I reported it internally. I will post back once I get any feedback. 

Vicky_Song Established Member
Established Member

@PBIn00b, with the Previous Day Sales = CALCULATE(SUM('table'order_total]),PREVIOUSDAY('table'[ship_date])) formula, set field under Values from "Date Hierarchy" to "DueDate", then data shows up correctly. 

previousDay.png

Or, you can have the DAX to be similar to: 

CALCULATE(SUM('Purchasing PurchaseOrderDetail'[UnitPrice]),PREVIOUSDAY('Purchasing PurchaseOrderDetail'[DueDate].[Date]))

Leila Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi
I have the same problem, while niether PREVIOUSDAY nor DATEADD functions work when I want to calculate the SUM(sessions) for a previous period. ( I need this calculation to know the growth rate for day over day

I have searched the whole powerbi community in the last three days, and much to my surprise, it is still unresolved Smiley Sad

This is my formula : PreDaySessions = CALCULATE(SUM(Visitor[SessionS]), DATEADD(Visitor[Date].[Date], -1 , DAY))

Thanks in andvance,                                                                                                                        

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 148 members 2,036 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: