Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PLEASE HELP

Hey guys, I have Time values in the whole format displayed in the histogram with index. There is 4:30:00 constant that should not be exceeded by the actual time value, if it does I need to display it as a seperate value in the same column. Like in the stacked column chart, if the drive time like in the first column is 08:39 hours, the first column should consist of first value 4:30:00 and then above should be the value for the overtime. I am so struggling with this, any ideas? I have attached my pbix file. 

I dont have an option to upload the pbix file here, so here is the link to my pbix: 
https://gofile.io/d/pUGv0g 

HELP@.PNG

This is the general idea how I want to do it :

Gediminas12_0-1600852550131.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

I'm not sure if this is excatly what you are after, but if you wish to include different benchmarks in the same chart, you can do so by creating a Dimension table for the benchmarks and categories, and use them as a hierarchy in the stacked column chart. Something along the lines of this (I've had to alter the data so ignore the detail):

Cats.JPG

The model is set up like this:

Model.JPG

I've attached the PBIX file for reference.

Do let me know if this is not what you are after

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any ideas?

@Anonymous 

I'm not sure if this is excatly what you are after, but if you wish to include different benchmarks in the same chart, you can do so by creating a Dimension table for the benchmarks and categories, and use them as a hierarchy in the stacked column chart. Something along the lines of this (I've had to alter the data so ignore the detail):

Cats.JPG

The model is set up like this:

Model.JPG

I've attached the PBIX file for reference.

Do let me know if this is not what you are after

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulDBrown Hi buddy, Can you show me a bit more how you did this dimension table? I would need it to be generated automatically.

@Anonymous 

Hi there,

From what I see, the dimension table is created by referencing a new query to the source table in Power Query, removing unnecessary columns and adding an index column (you can follow the steps by dowloading the sample PBIX file I attched to my previous message).

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulDBrown Hi man, I've got my new file here in the link below, woudl you be able to have a look at it? I basically need to do the same thing you did there, but it needs to be certain names. The column that says TR1 or TR2 are the train numbers that needs to be displayed in the same groups. 
https://gofile.io/d/gn0LKg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulDBrown  Hi man, that is exactly what I needed, just instead of a benchmark I need to put the text in like : New York - LA for instance. 

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

See if this works for you:

Result.JPG

The totals for each bar are generated automatically (new feature in September 20) so beware of the values above 60 mins intervals (see index 3)

I've attached the PBIX file for you.

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please guys, I really need help with this one. 

You have to use the Stacked Column Chart not Clustered Column Chart.

You'll have to stop thinking about the Time datatype.  Powerbi won't let you add 2pm to 4.30pm.

You've got the right idea with the NewTime column.  

Create a column = 43000. I think you have to use a whole number datatype but format it as 00:00:00.

Add that to the Values (with NewTime already there) of the chart.  If it displays correctly, you can proceed.

You'll have to make a column by subtracting the 43000 column from NewTime. (Make sure datatype is whole number and format is 00:00:00)  If that works, replace NewTime in the chart with this new column.

Good luck

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HotChilli Your solution does work and makes sense, the only thing is that everything that happens to be below 4:30 is shown as a minus and and I would like it to be just actual value then, let's say if the last column in the picture below is 4:19 i would display 4:19 without that minus. 

Gediminas12_0-1600862547895.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulDBrown Dude, you are lifesaver, that does work perfectly. Now I made two of the same graphs, cause i need to do few of them like that, but would like to connect them into one if possible like shown below, any way to go around it? 

Regards,

Gediminas 

Gediminas12_0-1600885103801.png

Gediminas12_2-1600885233485.png

@Anonymous 

I'm glad it helped. Can you please confirm what you want to achieve? I'm interpreting you want two benchmarks in the same visual? (04:30:00 and 00:20:00)

if possible, include a depiction of the final visual you are after. (A drawing like you did in the original post)

Also beware that if you have a considerable number of benchmarks, the visual might appear bloated.

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PaulDBrown so I've got two different categories like below, I want to do the same in powerBI. Ideally, there would be index 1 2 3 up to the 7 from the same two graphs. 

this is the link to the pbix file im doing right now. So in short, I got two different units of the same graph and I need to connect them into one so I could display it like below(I mean the axis, eveything else is sorted right now)

https://gofile.io/d/glrl5I 

Gediminas12_0-1600887957348.png

What about editing the y-axis start in the Format section?   Set it to 0 or something.

Maybe Paul has solved it in his post above.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.