Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

dbadmin
Helper IV
Helper IV

PERSONAL GATEWAY update: Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid.

Trying to set up Pro version of Power BI - I already had the Personal Gateway setup - but on PowerBI.com it offered to update to a newer version of the gateway. 

After I did this - on all my data sources it says my credentials are invalid. Please update credentials and try again. When I do this- I just keep getting the same error. 

I try to do it from PowerBi.com (in the settings section for datasets) and I've also tried doing it from the Desktop and updating my data sources from there. Still doesn't work.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue and / or what caused it? 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Are you only using services or are you using the desktop version as well? If your files are created in the desktop version and if that version does not match the version of the Gateway, they will not communicate.  Update the desktop version and this should resolve . . . but only if you created the files in the desktop version.

If that doesn't work, clear your browser history, cache, and cookies to start fresh. If all else fails, run a Fiddler Trace and send in a ticket.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

elliotdixon
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

hi @dbadmin - I had the same issue a while ago. Fixed by uninstalling Power BI and making sure to download the latest version. then reuploading the pbix files. Fixed it.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
dasrotrad
Frequent Visitor

My error message read:  "Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid"  

Babak Kakavand published a video on youtube that is shorter than one minute long that demonstrates how to resolve that issue.  The title is "how to reset saved credentials in Power BI."  

The error lies in the credentials set in the original source file, not in any settings reached within the workspaces.  At least in my case, it has nothing to do with the gateway or permissions set there.   The procedure demonstrated by Babak resolved my issue.  Had the error message simply informed the user WHERE the credentials are invalid, that might have saved several days trying to resolve this issue.   

Thank you BABAK KAKAVAND for the great video.

Please note however, this solution worked for me only with pbix files.  I was unable to change the credentials to access an Excel file.    Still looking for a solution when excel is the "end point."

Dasrotrad a/k/a Robert Cline

Anonymous
Not applicable

This also worked for me 👍

elliotdixon
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

hi @dbadmin - I had the same issue a while ago. Fixed by uninstalling Power BI and making sure to download the latest version. then reuploading the pbix files. Fixed it.

GTR
Helper III
Helper III

I had this same error not to long ago after changing my Windows password. After much research, the only thing that fixed it was resetting my PowerBI password and logging in again to the dataset settings. Hope this helps

Hi,

I am also getting the same error after changing my Windows password. My PowerBI.com password is connected to the windows credential. So, after your review when I tried resetting my PowerBI.com password. It read something like this:

"Please contact your admin

We've detected that your user account password is not managed by Microsoft. As a result, we are unable to automatically reset your password.

You will need to contact your admin or helpdesk for any further assistance."

Could you please help on this. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks & Regards,
Aaspruha

I had this issue a while a go. And I openon the edit crediential and changed  Authontication method from Basic to OAuth2. It verified my credential and it worked.

The only thing with that is I HAVEN'T changed my windows password - or Power BI password. They've stayed the same. The only thing I did different, was update the Personal Gateway. 

That's when I started having issues with the datasets. 

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Are you only using services or are you using the desktop version as well? If your files are created in the desktop version and if that version does not match the version of the Gateway, they will not communicate.  Update the desktop version and this should resolve . . . but only if you created the files in the desktop version.

If that doesn't work, clear your browser history, cache, and cookies to start fresh. If all else fails, run a Fiddler Trace and send in a ticket.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi,

I'm using power bi desktop to create my reports, I'm getting data form a SQL server DB and using the import option and all works fine in power bi desktop but when I publish it and tried to schedule the refresh or use refresh now option, I got this error: "Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again". (I setup the personal gateway too wo issues)

So I have 2 question:

1) My Power BI credentials need to be registered in my SQL DB? bcs I getting the data with a diff account (no power bi user)

2) If I can use diff accounts then why I'm getting this error? any idea

Hi @fcosalazar

1. No, you dont have to register your BI credentials in SQL - just need to make sure those credentials have access to the SQL DB.

2. The account you upload the data to PowerBI online (using the PowerBI Desktop Program) needs to be the same account you have setup in the Personal Gateway.

When you have this setup right sometimes you have to go into the refresh
Datasets -> Schedule Refresh -> Data Source Credentials

edit credentials.png

ED

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.