Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PC Crashes after opening Power Bi Desktop

Hi,
When I open up the desktop my machine immediately grinds to a halt and sometimes I need to restart my machine.

After checking the tsk manager my RAM is constantly peaking at 14 GB. I have 16 GB of RAM.

My CPU usage is hovering at about 33%. I don't think is an issue.

I noticed in my perf monitor there are 3 instances of the process Micorsoft Mashup Container hogging up most of the memory.

Any idea what this is ?

This only happens when I open up a particular report file.

I tried exporting the same report from the online service and then opening it up and I got the same issue.

Is there any way to do a trace to find out what exactly is causing this abnormal behaviour?

Is is something to do with my dataset?

The desktop is bascially unuable due to this slowness.

Capture 1.JPGCapture 2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous,

There are some proposals for you troubleshooting the performance issue.

1. Untick the following options in your current PBIX file. You can go to File -> Options and settings -> Options->CURRENT FILE(Data Load) to find the options.
large.png

2. Follow the guide in this blog to disable Load for these intermediate queries in your PBIX file to save memory.

3. Filter your source data before you import data to Power BI Desktop, in other words, import necessary data.

4. Multiple calculations(complex measures and calculated columns) in large dataset will eat up much memory, optimize your data model by following  the tips in the articles below.

Data Import Best Practices in Power BI
Power BI Performance Tips and Techniques

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kaushikd
Resolver II
Resolver II

@Anonymous

Which mode of connection are you using and what kind of source you are having

...??

Is it a  import mode or a live connection.....please do share how many datasets you do have and the volume of data each of datasets having.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kaushikd,

I am connecting through the CRM data connector.

Also when I try to connect via organization account the wheel keeps spinning infinitely

login.jpg

@Anonymous,

There are some proposals for you troubleshooting the performance issue.

1. Untick the following options in your current PBIX file. You can go to File -> Options and settings -> Options->CURRENT FILE(Data Load) to find the options.
large.png

2. Follow the guide in this blog to disable Load for these intermediate queries in your PBIX file to save memory.

3. Filter your source data before you import data to Power BI Desktop, in other words, import necessary data.

4. Multiple calculations(complex measures and calculated columns) in large dataset will eat up much memory, optimize your data model by following  the tips in the articles below.

Data Import Best Practices in Power BI
Power BI Performance Tips and Techniques

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lydia you finally solved my problem !!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors