Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cpmohanraj
Frequent Visitor

PBIX file size and datetime field with 9999 as year

I recently started using Power BI and have observed the following behavior. I just want to understand the cause for this behavior.

I have created a report using desktop which brings back ~2k rows from SQL Server. The query has 6 columns. The query has VALID_FROM and VALID_TO date. The resulting PBIX file with this query is ~26 MB. I played around the query and understood that VALID_TO date field which has most the value of 31/12/9999 as the value is the root cause for the large size of file.

As soon as I remove the field from the query or change the query to replace 31/12/9999 with 31/12/2099, the file size comes down to ~360 KB. That's massive difference in file sizes. 

I'd love to understand the reason for this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time components are stored as a decimal.  So yes that would increase the amount of space required to store the floating point value.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dates are stored as a number as "Days from 31/12/1899".  Therefore a date in 9999 would be a far larger number, which would take up much more space in the database.

Thanks Ross! 

But the 9999-12-31 is just 2,958,464 days away from 31/12/1899, which is not a large number.

Could it be bacause my dates have time component, assuming it may be storing them as seconds from the same reference date? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Time components are stored as a decimal.  So yes that would increase the amount of space required to store the floating point value.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.