Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

philtala

PBIX file in new PowerBI Desktop unable to open

Hi All,

I am currently having trouble opening a "new" PBIX file, which was created in the latest version of the PowerBI Desktop.

I am trying to open this PBIX file in an older version of the PowerBI Desktop Application.

Does anyone know how I can solve this issues as I cannot update the version of PowerBI Desktop on the system that I have created the PBIX file for?  

Error Message -

'H:\Downloads\test.pbix' is incompatible with your current version of Microsoft Power BI Desktop. Please install the latest version and try opening the document again.Error Image

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @philtala.

As smoupr said, it is impossible to use older version open the pbix file which create by newest version.

There are many new features and bug fix update which older version not contains. I'd like to suggest you re-create the report with original data source.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for responding.

It seems to me that this shouldn't be the case yes there are updates to word but I can create documents in word 2016 that will work in previous versions of the application.

I take it there will never be a solution to this as one of our main goals is to create a library of pbix files which multiple sites can use as and just attach there own dataset to and use quickly or amend the query and report to suit their need?

You would of thought a backwards compatible file would be something basic.

Many thanks

Phil

Hi @philtala,

>>You would of thought a backwards compatible file would be something basic.

But which you mentioned is old version can support the newest version feature. Current power bi new version can support older version pbix file.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

No solution that I know of other than to update your Desktop version.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.