Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

willnic
Advocate II
Advocate II

PBIX file corrupted

I worked on a model last week where I added some calculations. Now when I try to open it up I get the error message saying "Unable to Open Document" with the file past listed, saying it is "corrupt or not a valid report file."

The only changes I made to the file were calculations and everything was working. I can even see that it saved properly based on the timestamp on the file.

I really don't want to have to rebuild this model -- any way I can save this?

50 REPLIES 50
Ida_LU

Hello together,

I've meet such issue before. And I try to right click the file, then choose [Restore previous versions], and it shows the older version saved before and can be opened successfully. It works for me. Hope it may help you.

Ida_LU_0-1690512919209.png

UgboajaGrace

This happened to me today (25/05/23), 

When I attempted restoring the previous version, I got the prompt that there are no previous versions available.

I was able to fix the issue by renaming the file, then I share it with myself as a link on my Outlook mail.

I downloaded the file from my mail and opened it, and it is working perfectly well. I thank God!

SK78
Frequent Visitor

Hi, Looking for assistance - file that used to work until last week no longer open. Receive a message as shown below. nothing has changed. Unable to OPEN either the local copy or even the version hosted on the gateway upon downloading. Please assist. have tried to restore, unistall and reinstall PowerBi Dekstop. No luck thus far. This is happening for other admins too on this one particular file. We have other power bi dashboard that do not encounter this error!2022-08-11_20h33_59.png

I have just experienced this issue too.

You can try turning off background apps under the power bi app settings. Several of my files were doing this until I turned this off. Right click power bi > app settings > toggle off background apps. 

rachaelwalker_0-1660574462826.png

nguyengiang2004
Frequent Visitor

This happens to me all the times. I have backups saved in several places but I expect there should be a proper fix from the developers.

I browsed around to find for a solution and ended up here and it seems that this bug is not being fixed yet.

spring
Advocate I
Advocate I

I had this problem occur to me too on the April 2020 version "pbix is corrupt or an invalid report file".... none of the solutions I found on this community worked. The solution that worked for me and saved me alot of heartache at losing all my work was navigating to the following folder and then reopening a previous version - C:\Users\*yourusername*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\TempSaves.  Hope this helps someone too!

@spring Thank you so much! 

Thank u so much, u were right I tried all means but nothing worked but what u told really worked. 

Thank you this is work for me...

in April 2023

This worked for me too on 2023, thanks! 

Thanks, It worked for me 😊

How do we mark this as a solution. This saved me all kinds of work. Thank you!

I deleted my cache files right before I saw this. This is happening on multiple files. I right clicked power bi desktop and went to app settings and turned off Background apps under app permissions and they are now working. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

you saved days of work @microsoft you have to fix this huge problem, lossing file after updating powerBI its unacceptable. 

marketasolitea
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

the same issue happened to me today when working in 32 bit version of Power BI Desktop (which is unfortunately required in my project and can't be changed). None of the proposed "repairment steps" (with zipping the file etc.) below your complaint helped me, @willnic. However, when I opened another pbix (the very old version of my recent pbix with an obsolete model), Power BI Desktop offered to me to open autosaved files and my work was restored.

Hope it helps someone in the same situation 🙂

Markéta

Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to me today. Lost over 3 months of work. Such a pain. I am afraid it might happen again in the future 😞 Might switch to Tableau

Hi,

I got the same error when i reinstalled power bi desktop then i could open my pbix.

Thanks

sampathkumar
Frequent Visitor

I have downloaded PBIX from Power BI service and try to open it but it shows Corrupted file or Invalid file and unable to open. Any body has idea about this why is happening sometimes....

remi
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello @Greg_Deckler,

Do we have a cause for this behavior of the pbix file?

Or some recommendations of how to treat it in order to avoid falling into this scenario.

Thank you!

Remi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.