Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBIT file error - Unable to open Template........ xyz.PBIT file. is corrupt or Invalid report file.

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are also using the May 2020 version and I am getting the error when I create and try to open a template using our tabular server connection, but the error does not occur from an unconnected pbit file. We are trying to create a new template, but I'm hesitant to do so if people will not be able to use it. Anyone have any more info on this error?

@Anonymous - that version is 5 months old, and will be 6 months old when the Oct 2020 desktop launches, and there have been a LOT OF changes in internally to the PBIX/PBIT file format since then to allow working with external tools. If you are on the Report Server and cannot upgrade, consider waiting until this month as the new version for the desktop client will be Oct 2020 as well. 

If you are not using Report Server, then you should upgrade to the Sept 2020 version that is already out and try again. Then, if the issue persists, post about it with details in the Issues forum.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for that feedback, unfortunately our release schedule is far behind and its out of my control. We will likely be using May 2020 for a while. Do you know for sure if this issue has been resolved in later releases?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello!

For us with the update to the June 2020 version, the issue fixed itself. But with the May one, this was a huge problem all through our organization.

Thanks @Anonymous for the confirm. Posts on this seemed to go away when June came out. Good to hear it was identified and resolved.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Sorry, no, but I've not run across this and this thread kind of died after June, so it suggest to me it was.

I am sure the release schedule is out of your control, but unfortunately Power BI is not like most other apps Microsoft publishes. There is no "Stable Build" cycle like you get with Office for a Deferred Channel. While I would not suggest upgrading the day of a release, usually upgrading 2-3 weeks after a release is the best time for maximum stability as MS publishes many minor fixes each month. But holding on to an arbitrary month isn't good practice.

Even for those using Report Server, which does happen to be May, MS releases many fixes as needed to keep that typical Feb/May/Sept builds as stable as possible for the Report Server users. They do not do that with the normal desktop though. Once June is released, they forget about May. MS today is only concerned with minor patches to Sept, and the Oct pending release, and when that is release, Sept 2020 is in the rear view mirror.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I understand about the releases and risks, but again, this is far beyond my powers. Thanks for the feedback!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! Did you manage to find a solution to this issue?

We are experiencing the same problem when trying to open ANY template since upgrading to the May 2020 PBI version.

The files are perfectly fine and not corrupted and they open without issues in a previous PBI version.

edhans
Super User
Super User

You'll need to restore from a backup/previous version. It sounds like the file got corrupted. Also, ensure you are using a newer versio of the desktop. You can get odd errors if you open a PBIT/PBIX with older versions of the desktop tool. Normally it says it was created with a newer version, but just in case...

BirhanAYDS
Helper III
Helper III

Could you change the file extension: .pbit to .pbix?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I did. Nothing happened.

I repaired and reset the app as well.

Updated the PBI desktop and the file as well.

Getting the same error.

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

when did you update your Desktop application? try to use previous version of powerbi

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.