Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Reetz
Helper II
Helper II

PBI table column only tooltip using a button or shape

Hello,  

I have a Power BI table with a column that contains various links to web URLs.  Not all rows have a link.

I have it set up that clicking on a link opens the URL for that row and that works fine. 

An additional request came in to display a tool tip when hovering over that column to display a specific message regarding confidentiality for that URL link. 

I added a tall transparent button to sit over that column and on hovering, I am able to display the requested message. The button requires an action to display the tooltip.  The only action I found that stayed on the same report page and worked was

Type: Bookmark and Bookmark: None.  However, now I can’t click on the link to access the URL. I did make the background of the button transparent but that does not work either.

Is there a work around for this?  Thanks in advance!

Table1.pngTable2.png

2 REPLIES 2
rsbin
Super User
Super User

@Reetz ,

You might be better off creating a Tooltip Page.

Lots of info available on how to create a Tooltip page.

Then add this Tooltip Page to your Table visual to display the confidentiality note.

Regards,

Thank you rsbin.  I should have mentioned that I did try that first but it is very irritating when the tooltip constantly pops up when hovering over different areas on the table.  Was looking for a cleaner solution.  But thank you for the very quick response!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.