Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Charu
Post Patron
Post Patron

PBI free desktop report vs Power bi pro user reports?

Hi Everyone,

I need some clarification regarding power bi desktop free version user vs power bi pro user.

For my organization i have created report using power bi desktop free version and linked those reports into dot net application for my customer. there is an export limit in PBI desktop free version so I would like to get Pro user License which meets the export limits of my customer.

1.If I get pro license using another account do I have to recreate all the reports and link it to dot net application again?

2. how to get new pro license ?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Charu,

If I get pro license using another account do I have to recreate all the reports and link it to dot net application again?

No. You don't have to re-create all the reports. Since you have generated Power BI reports in desktop under your free license, you can directly save these reports locally. Next time, when you log in desktop with new pro license, you can still view and edit them and publish them to service to embed them into web application.

how to get new pro license ?

Please refer to this article: Purchasing Power BI Pro

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Charu,

If I get pro license using another account do I have to recreate all the reports and link it to dot net application again?

No. You don't have to re-create all the reports. Since you have generated Power BI reports in desktop under your free license, you can directly save these reports locally. Next time, when you log in desktop with new pro license, you can still view and edit them and publish them to service to embed them into web application.

how to get new pro license ?

Please refer to this article: Purchasing Power BI Pro

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
augustindelaf
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Charu

What do you mean by "Dot Net Application" ? can it be seen on a standard browser or is it separate?

Thanks

yeah, power bi reports will display in the browser.

augustindelaf
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

ok thanks.

What I know : You won't have to recreate all your reports if you use another account. Why would you not just click on publish in Power BI Desktop, when connected to the new account ?

Best regards

Hi @augustindelaf

For, your Information, I'm using PBI desktop reports on my application, not PBI service reports.That is the reason I'm bit confused.

for example, currently, I'm using abc@org.com account but I'm gonna subscribe Pro user to another account ie)xyz@org.com

What I do is Embedding the report in my application so do I need to create again is uncertainty.

write an ASP.net embed code to display the power bi report for your understanding please look at this link 

Spoiler

@Charu There are no licenses to desktop version like Free or Pro user. If you sign up for Pro on PBI Service, you can login into desktop using that account and publish using it. You still have the reports you already developed. 

If your question is regarding Power BI Service, If you use different email to login, Yes you need to redevelop them as you can't migrate the reports from one service to another. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.