Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AntoineCh
Helper I
Helper I

PBI desktop very slow + freeze

Hi all,

I'm working on a new computer and downloaded the latest version of powerbi (september 2017, 64 bits).

I'm having major problems, making it unusable in practice :

- The program takes 1 min 40 secs to open (just the program, not a .pbix file)

- Any action prompts a huge freeze for 15 sec +, from clicking on "create new measure" to "Ok" in the option pane (see picture)pbi freeze on "Ok" in optionspbi freeze on "Ok" in options

I'm using a T440p lenovo with i7 and 16Go Ram, latest powerBI release on 64 bits (though office runs on 32 bits). I've tried reinstalling several times, repairing, reverting to a previous version and switching to 32 bits version, but I get the same problem. Additionnaly, my colleague has the same setup and the same problem.

Any thoughts ?

Antoine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi all,

After a few rounds with the IT of my organisation, we identified the problem.

Explanation

Our antivirus was scanning everything again with each new access to sql server (new table, new measure, etc.).

Solution

The IT is currently working on creating exceptions in the antivirus software for all PowerBI related processes, which will have to be updated for new versions.

Thanks for your help,

Antoine

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
k3rz0rg
Advocate III
Advocate III

You're not alone, Although In my case, it is not that long but time to time, it takes longer than usual.

I run pbi on the server dedicated to power bi with xeon 3.6GHz and 8GB ram. There's no other applictaion running on that so i find application interferance invalid (at least in my case), I just accepted it for now... 

@chethan : thanks for your reply. I did test PBI with no other program opened and no antivirus scan in process (although I cannot deactivate the antivirus) before posting this. It doesn't change anything. What now ?

@k3rz0rg : good to know, although in my case it occurs everytime, making it unusable in practise.

Hi @AntoineCh,

It's werid, we have no power to check your own data. I personally suggest you create a support ticket on the right bottom of page for better assistanceSmiley Happy.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi all,

After a few rounds with the IT of my organisation, we identified the problem.

Explanation

Our antivirus was scanning everything again with each new access to sql server (new table, new measure, etc.).

Solution

The IT is currently working on creating exceptions in the antivirus software for all PowerBI related processes, which will have to be updated for new versions.

Thanks for your help,

Antoine

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AntoineCh,

I'm having the same Power BI Desktop Slow and Freeze problem. Just want to ask how yours is doing right now after your fix with your IT Department? 

Thanks!

chethan
Resolver III
Resolver III

@AntoineCh

Do some basic check :

Please check antivirus scanning will be processing in a backend

& Close all your browsers > use one Tab, not multiple tabs 

& stop all your videos playing in laptop 

Regards,

Chetan K

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AntoineCh,

There are many other program running on your computer? If it is, please close some and check if it runs quickly. 

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not running many programs. I checked, and the same issues occur when I close everything. We also have a virtual machine where there is no issue.

I tested things further : if I open an empty powerBI, click enter data and load 1 row, it takes about 20 sec to actually create the table (same thing if i do it twice). 

How should I go about troubleshooting ?

Antoine

Hi @AntoineCh,

Please down the new release on 2017/9/21, install and check if it works quickly.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

I did, but unfortunately the problem remains, pretty much as is. As we are trying to develop the use of PBI throughout our organization, this is currently a big problem.

Any thought ?

Antoine

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.