Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI Service Visuals showing Blanks and not in Desktop

Good afternoon, 

I have a report page in Power BI Service which I built in PowerBI Desktop. There are 16 multirow cards in my report which are intermintly showing the results as "(Blank)" when they should be populated. My issue is that in PowerBI Desktop they are showing the correct figures. 

When I first publish the report to its respective App from desktop the figures show correctly as soon as a refresh happens from PBI Service the cards change to (Blank).

When I click refresh on PBI Desktop all the tables load apart from my 2 measure tables which states "Creating Connection in Model" this can go on for around 9-10 mins. 

Refresh.PNG

My source is Salesforce and the result showing (Blank) is basic DAX (Shown Below)  .I can't think of a way round this.

Please see screen shots below,  

DAX

1. 0. Prv Month = EOMONTH(TODAY(),-1)
  2. 0. Prv Month *2 = EOMONTH(TODAY(),-2)
  3. 0. Days in Prev Month = DATEDIFF([0. Prv Month *2],[0. Prv Month],DAY)

1. 1. Lead Daily Budget LCM = SUMX( FILTER('Leased HC', 'Leased HC'[Month] = [0. Prv Month *2] + 1), 'Leased HC'[Leads Daily Budget]
  2. 1. Lead Monthly Budget LCM = [1. Lead Daily Budget LCM] * [0. Days in Prev Month])

*The rest of the results are the same as the last 2 DAX codes but looking a diffrent columns in the same table. 

Power BI Desktop

Desktop.PNG

Power BI Service

Service.PNG

As always any advice is greatly aprricated

Dobby Libr3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ended up taking this up to microsoft support this is the summary:

Symptom:

Report shows incorrect figures ((Blank) values) in multi-row card visuals when the report is refreshed in Power BI Service for a workspace located on a shared capacity.

Report shows correct values in Power BI Desktop and also in Power BI Service before refreshing.

Cause:

In Power BI Desktop, a column is created in power query using the M function: Date.IsInPreviousMonth(dateTime as any).

The data returned is nullable logical but you didn't change the type to true/false.

Then you are applying a filter=true to that field in Power BI Desktop.

When the report is published to Power BI Service and Refreshed, the service is returning -1/0 for the nullable logical, thus the report presents (Blank) values because the filter applied is set to true.

Resolution:

In Power BI Desktop, after using the M function which returns true/false, change the type of the column to True/False.

Moral of the story - always check your data types when creating columns 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
QueryWhiz
Helper V
Helper V

Hiwere you able to find a solution? I've used the Salesforce connector but I had some issues with my data too. As a workaround, maybe you can try to test your connection with a 3rd party connector. I've tried windsor.ai, supermetrics and funnel.io. I stayed with windsor because it is much cheaper so just to let you know other options. In case you wonder, to make the connection first search for the Salesforce connector in the data sources list:

SALESFORCE-1.png

After that, just grant access to your Salesforce account using your credentials, then on preview and destination page you will see a preview of your Salesforce fields:

SALESFORCE-2.png

There just select the fields you need. It is also compatible with custom fields and custom objects, so you'll be able to export them through windsor.  Finally, just select PBI as your data destination and finally just copy and paste the url on PBI --> Get Data --> Web --> Paste the url. 

SELECT_DESTINATION_NEW.png

shardul_bhilkar
Frequent Visitor

Good Afternoon,
                           I have faced the same issue, so I removed the dashboard from the workspace in the Service and again publish it in the workspace. Now, it was working fine.

SrxRgm
Frequent Visitor

Make sure that the data type is set to true/false regardless of the values being 'char' or 1/0. 
Have had a similar instance, and the solution mentioned above helped. 
Thank you Community!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Check if you are not pointing to a date filter which has no values for the day if you have history.

If you have recently removed records from source for a particular date, then the cache on the published PBI may have kept that date  but is unable to to get the values.

Clear browser cache and try playing around with date slicer if you have one, hope this helps.

Ta,

Aaron

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ended up taking this up to microsoft support this is the summary:

Symptom:

Report shows incorrect figures ((Blank) values) in multi-row card visuals when the report is refreshed in Power BI Service for a workspace located on a shared capacity.

Report shows correct values in Power BI Desktop and also in Power BI Service before refreshing.

Cause:

In Power BI Desktop, a column is created in power query using the M function: Date.IsInPreviousMonth(dateTime as any).

The data returned is nullable logical but you didn't change the type to true/false.

Then you are applying a filter=true to that field in Power BI Desktop.

When the report is published to Power BI Service and Refreshed, the service is returning -1/0 for the nullable logical, thus the report presents (Blank) values because the filter applied is set to true.

Resolution:

In Power BI Desktop, after using the M function which returns true/false, change the type of the column to True/False.

Moral of the story - always check your data types when creating columns 

This worked! Thank you so much for this solution!

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You might upgrade the Power BI Desktop to the latest version 2.76.5678.782 , and republish to Power BI Service. Or try other browser, clear cache form the browser. See the similar case : Table visual not rendering properly in PowerBi Report Server on premises .

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.