Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Katie_L
Helper I
Helper I

PBI - PowerApps: Dual Storage

Hello,

I am trying to build a PowerApp in PowerBI that is synced with my visuals. The data souce is a Sharepoint List. I understand that my query must be in Dual Storage Mode. Problem: This query is currently in Import Storage Mode, Dual and DirectQuery are greyed out.

Is the issue the data scource type? If so, what are the appropriate sorce types for dual storage AND if so, how do I navigate to my wanted data using these other sources?

Any insite or additional ideas of how to build my app to synce to my visuals would be great.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Katie_L ,

Tables with Dual setting can act as either cached or not cached, depending on the context of the query that's submitted to the Power BI dataset. In some cases, you fulfill queries from cached data. In other cases, you fulfill queries by executing an on-demand query to the data source.

Since sharepoint list only supports import mode, you cannot use Direct Query and Dual storage. You can refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/power-bi-data-sources for data source support both import model and DQ model.

If this post help, please consider accept it as the solution to help other member find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Thank you for this. I this case I can make a Streaming Dataset and pull in my Sharepoint Columns. **Question** if I do this, HOW do i push all existing info into the dataset?

I know I can make a FLOW and add a row, but this doesnt get all historic data. 

Thoughts?

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Katie_L ,

you need a data source that supports direct query. MS SQL Server is supporting direct query and can be used for the scenario you are describing.

Instead of linking/sourcing your PowerApp to the Sharepoint list, you can direct your App to the SQL Server table.

You have to be aware, that SQL Server is considered a premium data source and for this reason, you need special licenses for your Power App.

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.