cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rayishome
Resolver I
Resolver I

PBI Desktop opens too many sessions for Synapse Analytics

When importing data from a large model one user is using 300+ sessions.  Then the sessions set idel. Aynapse has a hard limit on the number of sessions.  Is there a way to control the number of session PBI Desktop is using?  

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@rayishome 

As far I as I know, there is no way to mange the "sessions" numbers in power bi desktop. And I am not familiar with the Azure Synapse Analytics. May I ask is there any error message pop up afterwards, see if I can find something out of it.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

This is the error we recieve:  

microsoft sql: 111219 the maximum concurrent session limit of 512 exceeded

I may open a support ticket to see if the Product team has any ideas how to work around it.  If each user is taking 300+ sessions to import data it's quikly exceeds 512.  

rayishome
Resolver I
Resolver I

This DW500 and below is 512 session, while DW600+ is 1024.  With one Power BI import taking up 300+ sessions it's easy to see how maxing out wouldn't take long.  Also it appears Power BI creates a new session for each query an the session is only used once then dies about 7 minutes after it's use.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/synapse-analytics/sql-data-warehouse/sql-data-warehouse-servi...

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Microsoft named a Leader in The Forrester Wave

Microsoft received the highest score of any vendor in both the strategy and current offering categories.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Power BI Dev Camp - September 30th, 2021

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors