Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rayishome
Resolver I
Resolver I

PBI Desktop opens too many sessions for Synapse Analytics

When importing data from a large model one user is using 300+ sessions.  Then the sessions set idel. Aynapse has a hard limit on the number of sessions.  Is there a way to control the number of session PBI Desktop is using?  

3 REPLIES 3
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@rayishome 

As far I as I know, there is no way to mange the "sessions" numbers in power bi desktop. And I am not familiar with the Azure Synapse Analytics. May I ask is there any error message pop up afterwards, see if I can find something out of it.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

This is the error we recieve:  

microsoft sql: 111219 the maximum concurrent session limit of 512 exceeded

I may open a support ticket to see if the Product team has any ideas how to work around it.  If each user is taking 300+ sessions to import data it's quikly exceeds 512.  

rayishome
Resolver I
Resolver I

This DW500 and below is 512 session, while DW600+ is 1024.  With one Power BI import taking up 300+ sessions it's easy to see how maxing out wouldn't take long.  Also it appears Power BI creates a new session for each query an the session is only used once then dies about 7 minutes after it's use.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/synapse-analytics/sql-data-warehouse/sql-data-warehouse-servi...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.