Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ving
Frequent Visitor

PBI Desktop could not connect to SSAS

Hello everyone, 

I am facing with the following issue last few days. I am newbie in PBI and I need your help. I have SSAS installed in the Domain Controller and I am trying to create a connection from PBI Desktop to SSAS. The whole problem is that my laptop is not joint in the DC. I have installed Enterprise Gateway in a computer which is in DC, I configure it, also I did maps of the user, but I still cannot connect to the SSAS. So my question is could be possible to establish a connection in this case or I cannot ? If you have any ideas how can resolve the issue please, share them. 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @Ving,

Current power bi desktop only support to use windows authorizations to connect to SSAS data source(when you use default connector), if current account is different than your ad account, it is impossible to connect to SSAS data source.

Please use valid account, ask database admin to give permissions for current account or use other connector to access SSAS datasource.

OLAP, Analysis Services connection strings

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Ving,

I think you are misunderstood with data gateway, it is used to handling data source and publish data to power bi service.

It not works when you are get data on power bi desktop. For your scenario, I think you need to setup proxy/vpn to access that data source.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-shex-msft,

Thank you for your reply! I will give you more details how the whole architecture is configured. Enterprise Gateway has a Data Source which is poiting to SSAS. The user who is autenticating from data source in front of the SSAS is a admin and also persist in the SSAS as admin. When I run the PBI desktop from the cmd with /netonly /user:AD\user I established a successful connection to the SSAS. When I run PBI Desktop from my desktop icon, I cannot connect to the SSAS. Even I am authenticate with my AD\user and password. I am using a VPN to access SSAS. The following error occured when I am trying to connect to SSAS:

ErrorQA.jpg  

I think I am missing something in the configuration of the enterprise gateway or may be somewhere else. If you have any ideas how to resolve the issue it will be great! 

Best Regards, 

Ving

HI @Ving,

Current power bi desktop only support to use windows authorizations to connect to SSAS data source(when you use default connector), if current account is different than your ad account, it is impossible to connect to SSAS data source.

Please use valid account, ask database admin to give permissions for current account or use other connector to access SSAS datasource.

OLAP, Analysis Services connection strings

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.