Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dixieduke
Regular Visitor

PBI Desktop & Dynamics 365 Source (data refresh)

PBI Desktop & Dynamics 365 Source (data refresh) Hello all! I hope you all are having a good day. I researched this topic (here & on the web), but couldn't find a direct answer. Here is some context: 1. I'm connecting PBI desktop to D365 using the Odata feed, similar to what you see here https://www.powerobjects.com/2016/11/18/connect-to-dynamics-365-data-from-powerbi-desktop/ 2. I'm creating visuals in PBI desktop, and publishing those to the PBI service. 3. I have PBI Pro. The question is, how often will the visuals (published to PBI service from PBI desktop) refresh to reflect the most current D365 data? I did find somewhere that it occurs once a day. I also saw where you could refresh the D365 data up to 8 times a day with the PBI pro acct, but I wasn't sure if that was only in the context of connecting the PBI service visuals to the D365 data pack--which isn't what I'm doing. Thanks for the help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dixieduke,

For online service providers, refresh usually occurs once-a-day. This is an Automatic refresh. If you configure a scheduled refresh for data source, it will refresh on the specific time points. And for both of free and pro licenses, refresh frequency only supports up to 8 times per day. Reference: Data refresh in Power BI

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dixieduke,

For online service providers, refresh usually occurs once-a-day. This is an Automatic refresh. If you configure a scheduled refresh for data source, it will refresh on the specific time points. And for both of free and pro licenses, refresh frequency only supports up to 8 times per day. Reference: Data refresh in Power BI

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yulgu-msft  and @dixieduke 
I am working with Odata source of a D365 environment and i am facing some data refresh issues. The time taken by a table with over 600,000 records is over 2 hours to refresh. 
that table involves steps where i need to expand on one of the columns (Query Folding or Unfolding).
I believe that this expanding happens row by row and hence the report refreshes very *VERY* slowly.
I would like to know how to fix this, since my data is not on premise but in the Microsoft D365 environment itself. So technically it should refresh faster since both the Power BI service and D365 is on Azure or cloud storage. 
If someone can throw some light on this it would be really great. The documentation for PowerBI and D365 is really not helpful here. 
Thanks in advance.

List of steps i need to include for the large table in order to get my required data.List of steps i need to include for the large table in order to get my required data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Did you solve the delay in refresh, I use xmr to create XML, merging the tables outside of powerbi and only bringing in columns I needed. It would interesting to know if this solution would also allow auto refresh.. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, Microsoft advises me to use Azure SQL or use a Bring your own Database connected to the D365 environment. Azure SQL is faster and can help with long and large tables a lot. 
However this also pushes Micorsoft to have money minting model, because apart from the 20k$ / year we pay for the enterprise D365, we now also pay for the extra Azure SQL storage. 
They have not released "support" for exporting data to on-premise SQL servers or dbs yer, and most likely will not as they do not make money via it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Vi 

I have been pointed in the direction of XrmToolBox which enabled me to link and reduce the tables down.

Hope this helps

Lee

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.