Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI Desktop / Unable to Change PBI Data Source SSAS Server Name

I have PBI Desktop Version: 2.41.4581.361 64-bit (January, 2016)

I have created few dashboards by connecting PBI desktop to SSAS Tabular Model (Live Connection)

Today, our system admin changed the IP address and server name where SSAS is deployed.

I connected to PBI desktop, opened the dashboard and as expected I got an error message indicating that the server name could not be found. Ok, I got another message that includes a [Cancel][Edit][Retry] buttons, however on top of this dialog there is another popup message that displays: "Working on it..." which prevents me from accessing the dialog with the buttons so as to change the data source connection information. This messages remains for ever!!

Any ideas how to resolve this issue and change the data source connection information (i.e. SSAS server name) for the dashboard??

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

You can try to disconnect the network, after the error message appears, re-connect the network and change the data source.

If above still not work, perhaps you can re-create the report file or report this issue to below link:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/360879-issues

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried disconnecting/connecting the network but that did not help...

Regarding rebuilding the dashboards, unfortunately , this is not an acceptable solution. We already have 25 dashboards designed connected to this data source and rebuilding all these 25 dashboards is definitiely not an option.

I just can't believe this!! There must be a way to change the data source server name/IP???!!

Any ideas??

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.