Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI Desktop - Suggestions on stratified sampling

I'm looking for ideas on best way to select a set sample sizes for different categories/groups. I have a source table pulling in raw data, and a population table that scrubs preps the data (removes duplicates, randomly selected, etc.). There are several categories of records for the current month and each will have it's own sample size. We have a required sample size for each of the categories and sometimes a category will not have the needed number of records to meet the required. I'm using slicers to select each category and records, which can take some time to get the needed sample.

I've researched using a join with a manual table with the required sample sizes for each category, but not having much luck if that's a good approach. I have tried pulling the samples using SQL with hard coded sample sizes, but that turned out to take a lot of time to adjust for missing records to meet needed minimum. My end goal is to create a self serve dashboard so end users can select the records themselves and export as they need. Any thoughts or advice on other approaches i haven't found so far?

1 REPLY 1
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is your problem that visuals are slow to load when using the slicer?
Do you want to randomly filter data for a specific number of records when a category is selected?
How do you want to handle it for categories with insufficient number of records?

If you want to export the selected data, you can use Power BI's export visual data feature or use Power Automate.

Create a Power Automate visual for Power BI (preview) 

Export the data that was used to create a visualization 

Best Regards,
Winniz

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.