Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tbrown_Hilo
Regular Visitor

PBI Desktop Sign In Issue

PBI Desktop is not recognizing my sign in, though the website still does.   This seems to be related to the latest software update, and has happened before.   From looking at the issues trail, I don't seem to be the only one.   Is there a remedy?

7 REPLIES 7
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Tbrown_Hilo,

PBI Desktop is not recognizing my sign in, though the website still does.   This seems to be related to the latest software update, and has happened before.   From looking at the issues trail, I don't seem to be the only one.   Is there a remedy?

Could you describe your issue in more details? 

What's version of your Power BI Desktop? Please check if you have installed the latest version of Power BI Desktop.

In addition, I'm a little confused about your scenario. Do you mean that you could sign in your power bi license in Power BI Service, but you cannnot sign in Power BI Desktop with your Power BI account?

Could you share some screenshots or your steps about sign in so that we could help further on it?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-piga-msft wrote:

Hi @Tbrown_Hilo,

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for your reply.    I'm running the most recent build of PBI Desktop, I uninstalled, and downloaded it again.   Still have the login issue.   Prior to the latest download, I was able to login, no problem.

Here is Desktop login screen & message

PBI Login.png

Here is printscreen from app.power.bi login - same login as desktop

https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/getdata/welcomehttps://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/getdata/welcome

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tamara

Could you describe your issue in more details? 

What's version of your Power BI Desktop? Please check if you have installed the latest version of Power BI Desktop.

In addition, I'm a little confused about your scenario. Do you mean that you could sign in your power bi license in Power BI Service, but you cannnot sign in Power BI Desktop with your Power BI account?

Could you share some screenshots or your steps about sign in so that we could help further on it?

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Hi @Tbrown_Hilo,

Based on your description, it seems that you could login power bi service successfully but you cannot sign in Power BI Desktop with the same account.

That's really strange. In addition, as you said, you have this issue when you install the latest version of power bi desktop. By my tests, I cannnot reproduce your issue.

Please have a try if you could sign in when you run as administrator.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Ran as Administrator, same issue, unable to login.

Hi @Tbrown_Hilo,

For your scenario, I need to see some error message from your fiddler file.

Please trace the procedure of sign in Power BI with fiddler then upload the fiddler file in OneDrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Thanks for your offer of assistance.   Providing a Fiddler file is frowned upon my my IT dept.

I've had my Admin reset my password.   This does not fix the underlying issue with Power BI requiring pw changes when the software upgrades, but I'm able to work around it.

Ooops, sorry, thanks to Cherry, not Cheryl!  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.