Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LuisQuedas
Advocate I
Advocate I

PBI Desktop (Sept 2017 update) returning error when trying to import data from OLAP HTTP data pump

Hi,

I'm using Power BI Desktop to connect an OLAP Cube using an HTTP endpoint, aka HTTP data pump, and the import option. The OLAP Cube is Stored in a SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services Server, and everything worked fine with Power BI Desktop August 2017 release and previous ones, but now with the latest version, September 2017 update, the import option isn't working anymore. When we try to connect the Cube we get the message:  

2017-09-19 14_52_42-Clipboard.jpg

After I got this error, I've reinstalled PowerBI Desktop August 2017 Update and it worked again as expected.

Have you have seen this behaivour? is it a already nown bug?

Thanks Very much, Luis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LuisQuedas
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

I've tested today Power BI Desktop October 2017 update, and this issue was fixed, we can now again use HTTP Data pump with connection live option to feed our reports 😉

Well done Microsoft!!!

Cheers Luis

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
LuisQuedas
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

I've tested today Power BI Desktop October 2017 update, and this issue was fixed, we can now again use HTTP Data pump with connection live option to feed our reports 😉

Well done Microsoft!!!

Cheers Luis

Hey just a quick one, are you able to connect to the CUBE without a live connection? For my company it's hard to get all the data without one and if I use a query my computer does not have enough memory to pull all the data at a transactional level (day to day details on unit sold, sales etc).

Hi Pentanol,

yes, we are able to connect PBI desktop to the Cube using the HTTP data pump and the import option, please see my post: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-connect-Power-BI-Desktop-to-a-SSAS-OLAP-cube-using-th...

Cheers, Luis

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@LuisQuedas @Anonymous

As confirmed with Product Team, this kind of connection type (HTTP Access to AS server) may still work in some condition. But actually, it's already not supported today. So please change it into "servername\instance" to connect. 

Regards,

HI @v-sihou-msft

Thanks for your reply.

Would you like to ask Product Team what are the "conditions" that enable the HTTP Access to AS Server to work?

and How can I use "Servername\Instance" to connect an Analysis Services OLAP cube running on the Cloud and where we only have access to port 443.

Note: our customers have been using the previous version of PBI Desktop without problems.... only latest update, Sept 2017, isn't work, and the conditions remain the same 🙂

Many Thanks, Luis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there any estimate of when this may be addressed? Also, although I have access to August updated PBI application, I would like to "roll back" on my primary machine. Is there someplace where one can get older PowerBI vesions or some way to roll this back?

Hi @Anonymous,

you can get PBI previous versions from the following blog post:  https://zenatti.net/2017/07/04/power-bi-previous-versions/

Luis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem. Also resolved by going back to August version.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.