Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ncole3099
Frequent Visitor

PBI Desktop - Composite Model needs multiple, repeated logins when connected to AAS DB

I just began experimenting with the new Composite Models by trying to connect data to my company's AAS DB. For this purpose, I created a simple Excel file that I then connected to the model using the Get Data feature.

When I first connected this new data, I was prompted by a Microsoft Login popup approximately 4 times. Each time it asked for my password and then required me to enter in a text message verification code. I was fine with this, as I figured it would stop once the connection was actually made.

Unfortunately, this issue has persisted. Anytime I try to change something (Add a relationship, open a table on the AAS side, etc.) I continuously get login prompts. Each time, I enter my password and then the verification code. Instantaneously, another prompt opens and I have to do it again.

This is pretty much unuasable if I have to login 4+ times every 30 seconds. Is this a known issue with Composite Models and SSAS DB's?

5 REPLIES 5
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ncole3099 ,

As far as I know, the preview feature(Direct query for live connection) is not supported by SSAS. Would you please refer to limitations in https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/directquery-for-power-bi-datasets-and-azure-analysis-servic...

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Hi Dedmon,

Apologies, I mixed up a bit of the terminology there. We are actually using an AAS model (we use both, depending on clients needs, but for my experimentation I am using an AAS model).

I also updated my Power BI version to 2.88.1144.0 today, as I wasn't aware that Microsoft rolled out a second December release. From what I'm aware of, this was supposed to help resolve some of the issues I've been seeing with Composite Models on AAS... Unfortunately, I am still experiencing the same problems as I have mentioned before.

Hi @ncole3099 ,

Since it is a preview function, there's probably a lot to optimize. I suggest you report this as an Issue using issues.powerbi.com.  first check to see if it has already been reported.  

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ncole3099 , what is version of Power bi you are using ?

Version: 2.88.721.0 64-bit (December 2020)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.