Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alex_Rajkov
Advocate III
Advocate III

PBI Desktop App-Version is missing AnalysisServicesWorkspace - msmdsrv.port.txt

Hi,

I am currently running both versions of PBI Desktop (Download via Website & App from Store, both Jan 2018).

I wanted to switch to the App, but realized one problem.

There is a very nice way to connect an open PBI Desktop Data model with Excel through Power Query.

(   http://biinsight.com/exporting-data-from-power-bi-desktop-to-excel-and-csv-part-2-importing-power-bi... )

This is important to analyze some issues in detail, since

- the .csv export can produce some wierd and wrong formats / can't be trusted IMO

- the amount of data is limited for copy and paste

- the way through DAX Studio is not as convenient

It requires the info wich port is currently used by PBI Desktop.
This is folder/file where the non-app version stores it:
C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace1026659202\Data\msmdsrv.port.txt

Unfortunately the following location should be the place the app-version stores the correspondent file, but the folder is empty.
C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftPowerBIDesktop_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces

Searching C: for msmdsrv.port.txt didn't show me a second msmdsrv.port.txt....

Since from reading several posts I understood, that the versions should be identical, I hope I am mising something.

Does anyone have the APP Version + I able to locate the msmdsrv.port.txt?

KR
Alex

9 REPLIES 9
gerardv
Regular Visitor

For everyone using the Store App and missing the AnalysisServicesWorkspace folder again after the 2018 October update: it can now be found under C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces.

For Matt's great Excel template to work after the update, open the Visual Basic editor in Excel and update the UpdateUserPath() sub in Module2 like this:

Change this line: user = Environ("LOCALAPPDATA")
To: user = Environ("HOMEDRIVE") & Environ("HOMEPATH")
Change this line: UserPath = user & "\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces"
To: UserPath = user & "\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces"

Hope this helps.

RobertSlattery
Resolver III
Resolver III

I originally got this tool from @MattAllington site but the location of these files seems to have moved.  I had to modify the VBA to find the fie location to...

Sub UpdateUserPath()
   ' developed by Matt Allington from http://exceleratorbi.com.au
    user = Environ("LOCALAPPDATA")
    UserPath = user & "\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop SSRS\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces"
    Sheets("Connection").Range("B2") = UserPath
End 

I also find it handy to filter the workspaces to just the most recent one by changing the Power Query code.  This saves having to clean up residual workspaces.

my local host workbook has connectivity to the new Microsoft store and the original downloadable file version 

https://exceleratorbi.com.au/measure-dependencies-power-bi/

Read the readme.txt for details

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi Matt, I realised I shoudn't be leaving your PQ code laying around so I took that down.  I hope it's ok to leave the VBA snippet there but, let me know if you wan't me to take that down also.

I found that your latest file, while absolutely awesome for analysing measures, doesn't work for me out of the box.  I am using this version of PBI desktop:

Microsoft Power BI Desktop (Optimized for Power BI Report Server - March 2018)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56723&WT.mc_id=rss_alldownloads_all

My mods did the following:

1. Change the target path in the VBA to ...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop SSRS\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces
  2. Filter the workspace folders to exclude all but the most recently accessed one
    This saves having to clean up residual workspaces from closed models or other open models

If you are OK with it, I can post a OneDrive link here, or can send to you directly.

Cheers

Thanks for  letting me know.  I would like to include this 3rd version in my download if you are OK.  can you please send it to me for inclusion?

Matt

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Done Matt. I used the email address that your Blog subscription comes from.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Alex_Rajkov,

I'm not so sure for your scenario, I can find temp file at '%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces'.

I guess your issue may related to multiple power bi desktop instances, maybe you can try to contact to power bi dev team for further support.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

thank you for your response.

Did you User PBI desktop downloaded from the MS Store not the webpage?

We tested on other machines with the same result. No session folder created...

Funny that of I list the ports on my machine, there is a local port used by PBI Desktop. So I have found a workaround for me. But not every user will find this acceptable.

Support is now looking at the issue.

KR Alex

Hi @Alex_Rajkov,

>>Did you User PBI desktop downloaded from the MS Store not the webpage?

Yes, I download power bi for MS website.

BTW, I also test to install the store version but I can't found the correspond folder.(only find the previous one which created by website version)

I'm not so sure for the difference between website version and store version, maybe you can submit a support ticket to further support,

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.