Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dmharms

PBI 64 fails to launch/ 32 bit does

Good Morning,

Last Friday I went to install PowerBI Desktop (64 bit) to a co-workers computer( W8.1PRO 64bit, 64GB RAM, 1 TB HD, AMD processor, really a beast of a machine) it installed like it has on the other machines I have installed it to. Then I went to launch the software to make sure it worked. It would load the splash screen and then close, not show up in TM or leave an error code. So I uninstalled and tried again to no luck. As I was looking here for an answer I found the link to the 32 bit version. Installed it and worked like it was supposed to.

I am baffled. Any help would be greatly apprciated. 

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
dmharms

I am using

Power BI Desktop

Version: 2.44.4675.521 64 BIT (March 2017) 

Computer

Windows 8.1 64 BIT Professional

64 GB RAM (while trying to load the program system was at 1.2/62.8)

1TB HD

Intel i7

Up to date on updates

As of right now it is only happening on one machine and we have reinstalled at least 4 times now. I have had no problem installing on other Win 8.1 devices, and my own Win 10 device. 

What we have tried

Reinstalled

Ran as Administrator

Logged in as a diffrent user

Installed 32 bit (worked)(can't access files, files are 64 bit)

Hi @dmharms,

Sorry for slow response, I think the issue is more related to your device. I'd like to suggest you check your environment first.

For example:

.net frameworks environment, use sfc/ scannow command to check the system environment...

Reference:

How To Use SFC /Scannow to Repair Windows System Files

In addition, you can also submit a support ticket for this issue.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dmharms,

Which version you try to install? Does this issue only appear on your device or all of devices you test? If you share something detailed, it will be help for troubleshooting.

BTW, I can launch the newest power bi desktop(64-bit) on win 8 enterprise device.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.