Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nick-evans
Advocate I
Advocate I

PATH throws unexpected exception

I have been struggling to get the PATH formula to work for me because of duplicate names in my data (in case you have seen my handful of other threads related to this). 

I finally was able to update our data so that the names were unique.

I have successfully added a column with using PATH where I use the space IDs.

PATH = PATH(CONTAINERS_D_PARENTSPACEDETAILS[SpaceID], CONTAINERS_D_PARENTSPACEDETAILS[ParentID])  

This gives me results like this:

path_works.png

Next up I wanted to be able to see the names in a hierarchy, so I used PATH as outlined in http://www.daxpatterns.com/parent-child-hierarchies/

PathName = PATH(CONTAINERS_D_PARENTSPACEDETAILS[SpaceName], CONTAINERS_D_PARENTSPACEDETAILS[ParentName])  

When I first submit the formula, a black CMD window flashes up for a split second, then I get an error:

An unexpected error occurred (file 'pfshdata.cpp', line 240, function 'PFData<unsigned short>::AllocData')."

I saw that there was a pending update for Power BI desktop, so I applied that, and re-tried the column.

Now when I submit the formula for a new column, I get the error:

An unexpected exception occurred.

I have found only a single instance of the original error here which didn't really give me much to go off of for troubleshooting.

I'm not sure what to do with regards to this error. 

Are there logs I can review to try and pinpoint what the issue is?

Are there questions I can answer that would help narrow down the cause?

Version: 2.51.4885.701 64-bit (October 2017)

Data is an import from SQL Database

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am getting the same issue - very strange.  I tried deleting my table and recreating with no luck.  I've used Path many times before and never experienced this issue.  

klyhne
Frequent Visitor

Hey guys

A colleague and I experienced the same error and solved it the following way:

We found that one child's parent value was the same as the child's own value in the data source (Excel Sheet), as on Id 2 in the dummy example below:

Id | Child                   | Parent

1   | SomeValue          | AnotherValue

2   | ThirdValue           | ThirdValue

We changed the child value in the data source to something else, like:

Id | Child                   | Parent

1   | SomeValue          | AnotherValue

2   | ThirdValue1         | ThirdValue

Then we deleted the Path-column, reloaded the data and created the Path-column again.

Everything now works as expected.

Hope you guys can use this approach as well.

Best,

Kristian

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for the solution, but from my experience, an id reporting into itself should not kick off an error.  

chr9219
Frequent Visitor

Same is happening to me.  I'm on Version: 2.55.5010.641 64-bit (February, 2018)

I'm trying to get the path on our org heirarchy based on managers userids

relpath = PATH(UserMaster[EmpId],UserMaster[MgrId]).

When I try to add the formula to a new column, I get the error:

An unexpected exception occurred.

It's hard to tell why I'm getting the issue because the error doesn't open up into any details.

Today I downloaded the April 2018 version of Desktop (FYI I've always been using 32 bit) and this error no longer occurs.  Only tried it once and it worked so 100% success thus far.

@chr9219@nick-evans

I just downloaed the April 2018 update as well.  I deleted my column and recreated it and I'm still getting the unexpected exception.

@chr9219 @nick-evans @Cymbolz @v-ljerr-msft  anyone solve this issue?  i am getting it too

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @nick-evans,

Could you post your table structures with some sample/mock data which can help us to reproduce this issue? It's better that you can share a sample pbix file which can reproduce the issue. You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading. Smiley Happy

Regards

I've encountered example the same issue.  

I have a table of staff with a staffID and email.  There is a report-to column indicating who their manager is.  If I use PATH on the numeric staffID columns it works (new calculated column with expected values that PATH has determined).  

But I want to create the path output based on email, so created a column for managers email using dax lookup.  Then tried path on the email columns and got the error.

Am guessing either - it's the calculated column causing the issue, or text.  As it works with numerics per the columns coming purely from the query.

Any ideas / solutions?  I can provide more details if required.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.