Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brobertson017
Frequent Visitor

P&L by month combining actuals and budget

Hello,

I have a question similar to this one, but not quite the same and I haven't been able to modify the infomarion there to solve my problem.

I'm trying to create a Profit & Loss table showing accounts on the rows and months on the headers. I'd like to take a user-input month and show actual results up to that month and budget results for remaining months in the year. So if the user selects February, then the Jan and Feb columns will show actual results and Mar to Dec columns will show budget results.

My data is pulled from Netsuite. Dates are converted to Accounting Periods so January 2019 would be accounting period 149, Feb/2019 is 150, etc. My actual and budget amounts are each in their own Fact Table with columns for Accounting Period, Account Number and Amount. I have created measures to calculate the actual and budget amounts, and I can easily make a table showing both budget and actual results for each month, but I can't put it all together.

Hopefully I have provided enough information. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @brobertson017 ,

Could you please share some sample data and expected result to us for analysis?

Best Regards,

Tiege

I'm not able to upload my model since it has work data in it, but maybe I could explain it?

The first query is the actuals data, in a fact table whose final output looks like this:

ACCOUNTING_PERIOD_IDACCOUNT_IDACTIVITY_DATEDEPARTMENT_IDSUBSIDIARY_IDAMOUNT
851481/19/201716823.51
851481/19/2017178494.4
851481/19/20172151829.44
851481/19/201711514.02

The second query is budget data, in a fact table with similar output except no column for activity date:

ACCOUNTING_PERIOD_IDACCOUNT_IDAMOUNTDEPARTMENT_IDSUBSIDIARY_ID

I then have a calendar table as well as several DIM tables to convert the number values back into actual department, subsidiary, etc., names.

My relevant Measures are:

Actuals:=SUM(FACT_POSTING_ACCOUNT_ACTIVITY[AMOUNT])

Budget:=SUM(FACT_BUDGET[AMOUNT])

Then I make a pivot table with my Accounts on the rows and Dates on the columns (in this case 12 columns - Jan to Dec, 2019). If I pull in the Actuals measure in the Values field it shows the actuals (of course!) and if I pull in the Budget measure it shows budget values (so far so good). But if I pull them both in, I get something like this:

January February March April May June July August September October November December 
AccountActualsBudgetActualsBudgetActualsBudgetActualsBudgetActualsBudgetActualsBudgetActualsBudgetActualsBudgetActualsBudgetActualsBudgetActualsBudgetActualsBudget
Revenue 1        (369,218)            (109,821)        (322,458)              (37,407)        (306,474)            (259,384)                    -            (53,083)                    -              (285,989)                 -          (413,648)                    -              (396,097)               -          (451,782)             -          (244,600)             -            (16,835)             -          (249,925)              -          (226,430)
Revenue 2                      -                            -                        -              (380,820)                      -                            -                      -                        -                      -                            -                   -                        -                      -                            -                 -                        -               -                        -               -                        -               -                        -                -                        -  
Revenue 3                      -              (455,387)                      -              (150,773)                      -              (425,808)                    -          (595,803)                    -                            -                   -                        -                      -              (131,980)               -                        -               -                        -               -          (320,111)             -                        -                -                        -  

My goal is to be able to select a month (March for example) and have actuals show for Jan to Mar and then Budget to show for Apr to Dec, like this:

JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember
AccountActualsActualsActualsBudgetBudgetBudgetBudgetBudgetBudgetBudgetBudgetBudget
Revenue 1        (369,218)        (322,458)        (306,474)          (53,083)            (285,989)        (413,648)            (396,097)        (451,782)        (244,600)          (16,835)        (249,925)        (226,430)
Revenue 2                      -                        -                        -                        -                            -                        -                            -                        -                        -                        -                        -                        -  
Revenue 3                      -                        -                        -          (595,803)                          -                        -              (131,980)                      -                        -          (320,111)                      -                        -  

In my head it's a simple if/then check. If accounting_period_id is less than or equal to the accounting_period_id of the month I select, return actuals, if not, return budget. The problem I ran into when trying to turn this into proper syntax is that the selected month (and equivalent accounting_period_id) has to be compared to two different fact tables, and then return some information from one fact table and some from the other.

Does that help explain? If not I can try to scrub sensitive data from the model and upload it.

Thank you.

Am I allowed by bump my thread, @TeigeGao ? I hope so! Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.