Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Luizcarlospf
Helper I
Helper I

Overwrite empty columns by default values

Sem título.png

To put it in context: I have 2 related tables, but not all lines are related. When I go to view all the values of the tables in an array, I have empty values (names)

As you can see in the image, I need to fill in the value "empty" with a default value ("not registered").
I know it is possible to ignore these values, but I need them to appear.

How do I force a name on (empty) values without a direct relationship between tables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
timg
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi Luizcarlospf,

The clean solution to this would be to add a record in your [seller name] column with an unused ID (e.g. -1) and "not registered" as seller name. Then to map all the records who currently do not have a seller associated with them to that new ID. Below you'll find an example:

3.PNG

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Tim

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
timg
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi Luizcarlospf,

The clean solution to this would be to add a record in your [seller name] column with an unused ID (e.g. -1) and "not registered" as seller name. Then to map all the records who currently do not have a seller associated with them to that new ID. Below you'll find an example:

3.PNG

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Tim

Thanks!!

the whole problem is the relationship  between the tables that I am using. There are sales unrelated to the seller. changing the tables would be impossible due to the large number of empty values. I need a solution with filter or metrics to just change the empty value for some standard name

Hi,

Regarding my earlier solution, within Power query you could use the replace value function replace all empty values at once. 

However, if this is not a fitting solution in this case, you could create a calculated column in the sales table and have it filled with the RELATED() value from the seller table and use a SWITCH() to replace the blanks with a different value.

Regards,

Tim

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.