Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lbudack
Advocate III
Advocate III

Overlay Transparent Images

Is there an easy way to add an image to a report and make it transparent? I need to overlay a school district boundary over a map of plotted school locations, and I have a good overlay to use. However, I can't seem to find any setting or option to make it transparent and line it up with my existing map visualization. Thanks! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@lbudack 

What image format is your overlay (png, jpeg, tiff, ...)?

I don't think there is a way of making an imported image transparent. You probably need to make it transparent first in some image editing app - Gimp, Photoshop... - save it as a png (keeping the transparency) and then import it. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

jaykilleen
Advocate II
Advocate II

You will need to put a shape over your image and then set the transparency on the shape.

1) Import the image 

2) Add a rectangle or other shape that is the same size as the image

3) Make the shape the same colour as your background (ie white if you are working with a white background)

4) Move the shape so it covers your image.

5) Set the transparency on the shape. This will make the image start to appear.

This is most useful if you have your image and shape as background layers. ie lowest in the order of appearance compared to all other elements. This might not be useful for things like watermarks as it will make the entire report transparent.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jaykilleen
Advocate II
Advocate II

You will need to put a shape over your image and then set the transparency on the shape.

1) Import the image 

2) Add a rectangle or other shape that is the same size as the image

3) Make the shape the same colour as your background (ie white if you are working with a white background)

4) Move the shape so it covers your image.

5) Set the transparency on the shape. This will make the image start to appear.

This is most useful if you have your image and shape as background layers. ie lowest in the order of appearance compared to all other elements. This might not be useful for things like watermarks as it will make the entire report transparent.

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@lbudack 

What image format is your overlay (png, jpeg, tiff, ...)?

I don't think there is a way of making an imported image transparent. You probably need to make it transparent first in some image editing app - Gimp, Photoshop... - save it as a png (keeping the transparency) and then import it. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Thank you! I was afraid of that but figured I'd ask in case I was missing something. I'll grab one of my graphic designers then. Thanks again! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.