Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Overlapping lines, change display order

On a Line and Clustered Column Chart, I have 2 lines that mostly overlap.  I want to bring one line to the front and overlap the other.  I've tried to change the ordering in the 'Line Values' section but it does not change.

How do I change the overlapping order of lines on a Line and Clustered Column Chart?

9 REPLIES 9
stevemcgrath
Regular Visitor

I had the same problem and found a hack solution (I googled and found your post, then played with a few things). The order of overlap depends on the order you drag measures into the 'Values' section of the visualisation.

Drag everything out to the 'Tooltips' section just beneath it, then drag them back into 'Values' in the order you want, back to front.

That did it!

Ah, that makes sense, because when I would drag things out, I would remove them entirely, and then go back and pull them from the fields pane.  Nice fix Steve!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response, I thought I posted this image earlier.

Here is an example of the chart I am working with.  I want the red line to be more prominant than the yellow line.I want the red line to overlap the yellow line.I want the red line to overlap the yellow line. I dont really want to change the line weight or shape of the line.  Is it possible to make that change?

I might be mistaken, but I believe you can do this by re-ordering the source values in the Visualizations pane.

Anonymous
Not applicable

For the chart shown.  Changing the order in the visualization window did not change the ordering.  I tried using the June '19 update of Power BI.

Huh. When I swap them, they swap colors and which one shows up better on top.

You may be able to go into Shapes>Customize Series ON> turn the line style of your yellow line to dashed or dotted to emphasize it's less important then.  Or increase the stroke width of the red line by 1.  It's not a lot, but it will make it pop.

@Cmcmahan ,

Trying your method out, this does not seem to work.

Have you had any luck finding other solutions? I'm having the same exact problem with the line charts.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm not clear what's mean of "bring one line to the front and overlap the other". 

If your have have 2 lines that mostly overlap, what about setting with different color to identify them like below?

Capture.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.