Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SonyT
Frequent Visitor

Overlapping Bar Chart

Hi. I'm fairly new to Power BI and I would like to create a bar chart within a bar chart. Is there a visual available for this as I have been unable to find one? For example I would like to show Current Month vs Current Month Last Year using a bar chart, with a small/narrow bar within a current bar. Perhaps this is called an overlapping bar chart?  Many thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Varkha_19

If you wish make a Bar plot similar to Power BI's Logo (on Bar coinsiding the other vertically), and not need a lipstick chart, you can create it using a python visual in Power BI. you can easily define, start point of Bars on x-axis, as well as their width.

radhey_rec
Resolver II
Resolver II

Thank you R, that visual looks like just what I need.

Alia222

Hi @SonyT  you can add the overlapping bar chart visual at the visualization pane from Get more visual. Hope this helps!

SonyT
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your response Fernando.  It seems there doesn't seem to be a visual that allows for a bar chart that overlaps. Perhaps we will have to go with your suggestion for now. Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know its not what you are looking for but you could use the line and clustered column chart and plot the same month last year on the line and the current on the bar. (or the other way around)

calerof
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @SonyT ,

You could try to use the Clustered Column Chart, where in values you add current revenue and previous year revenue.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Fernando

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.