Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dickvankl
Frequent Visitor

Overlap table

Hello,

I'm relatively new at using Power BI, so I hope someone can help me with this question.

I want to make a overlap table of certain products on zip code level.

Example:

I want to make this dataset:

Zip code Product
1000       A
1000       B
1001       A
1001       B
1002       C
1003       B
1003       C      
1004       A
1005       B
1006       C
1007       C
1008       A
1009       B
1010       A

Into this table:

ABC
A520
B251
C014

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Than you for your help! However this is just a subset. Doing this for the whole dataset would take quite a lot of time, because there are many combinations possible. 

In another topic I found this:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Sum-customers-by-product-combination-buyed-a-b-a-c-b-c-or-a...

This did not bring me to the exact table I wanted, so I did the rest by hand. However this took quite a lot of hand work, because all all possible orderings of products appeared in different cells (a,b,c - a,c,b - b,a,c - etc.).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@dickvankl ,

Could you please explain the number in the matrix?

A B C
A 5 2 0
B 2 5 1
C 0 1 4

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

The 5 upper left means that there are in total 5 zipcodes with product A.

The 2 upper middle means that there are in total 2 zipcodes with as well product A as product B.

The upper right means that there are no zipcodes with as well product A as product C.

I'm mainly interested in the overlap (how many people (zipcodes) have more than 1 product and which product combinations occur most often), so the values for A-A, B-B and C-C are not that important to me. It's mainly about the rest of the values in the matrix.

@dickvankl ,

So your requirement is to achieve the distinct count of zipcode with three combinations "A&B", "B&C" and "A&C", right? You can create three calculate columns and three measures using DAX below:

Calculate columns:

Combination A&B = CALCULATE(CONCATENATEX('Table', 'Table'[Product], "&"), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Zip Code]), 'Table'[Product] = "A" || 'Table'[Product] = "B"))

Combination B&C = CALCULATE(CONCATENATEX('Table', 'Table'[Product], "&"), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Zip Code]), 'Table'[Product] = "B" || 'Table'[Product] = "C"))

Combination A&C = CALCULATE(CONCATENATEX('Table', 'Table'[Product], "&"), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Zip Code]), 'Table'[Product] = "A" || 'Table'[Product] = "C"))

Measures:

Count A&B = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Zip Code]), FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Combination A&B] = "A&B"))

Count B&C = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Zip Code]), FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Combination B&C] = "B&C"))

Count A&C = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[Zip Code]), FILTER('Table', 'Table'[Combination A&C] = "A&C"))

The result will be like below:

Capture.PNG 

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Than you for your help! However this is just a subset. Doing this for the whole dataset would take quite a lot of time, because there are many combinations possible. 

In another topic I found this:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Sum-customers-by-product-combination-buyed-a-b-a-c-b-c-or-a...

This did not bring me to the exact table I wanted, so I did the rest by hand. However this took quite a lot of hand work, because all all possible orderings of products appeared in different cells (a,b,c - a,c,b - b,a,c - etc.).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @dickvankl , As I have in mind, you can not put the same field in columns and rows in a matrix.

Thanks for your reply!

There isn't another option in for example the query editor or by using a measure or something to get this done? Is it better to use another program, for example excel to do this? I also tried to do it in excel, but I don't know how to do it in excel either.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.