cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pelican New Member

Overiding Datasets Power BI Desktop

I have a dataset that has 10 data columns.  I created 3 calculated columns that each search for a different word in the 10 data columns.

I now have a new dataset that I need to import that has 15 columns.  The existing 10 data columns plus 5 new data columns.

Is there a way to overide the existing dataset while preserving the calculated columns?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Overiding Datasets Power BI Desktop

Hey,

I'm not sure if I totally underestand your requirement, for this reason my answer is a little lengthy.

If the data source has the same name but now just contains the 15 instead of 10 columns, and the columns names did not change, besides that there will be just 5 new columns, the calculated columns will still be there. This is due to the following.

Consider the Power BI data model as a data model that contains different layers. The

1. 1st layer consists of the tables created by Power Query, the
  2. 2nd layer consists of tables created using DAX or tables "enhanced" by  DAX based calculated columns, and the
  3. 3rd layer, where interactive measure unfold their magic.

If your requirement is described by the above everything will work, but if you mean "preserve" the results of your calcualtions, you have to be careful. If your dataset is small, you can export the data from a table visual using Power BI desktop (exisiting limits are described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data). If your dataset exceeds the various limits described in the above mentioned article you just can use Paginated Reports or XMLA endpoints to overcome these limitations, both of the features mentioned require Power BI Premium.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Hamburg - Germany
If I answer your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
I accept Kudos :-), If you find my post helpful.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Re: Overiding Datasets Power BI Desktop

Hey,

I'm not sure if I totally underestand your requirement, for this reason my answer is a little lengthy.

If the data source has the same name but now just contains the 15 instead of 10 columns, and the columns names did not change, besides that there will be just 5 new columns, the calculated columns will still be there. This is due to the following.

Consider the Power BI data model as a data model that contains different layers. The

1. 1st layer consists of the tables created by Power Query, the
  2. 2nd layer consists of tables created using DAX or tables "enhanced" by  DAX based calculated columns, and the
  3. 3rd layer, where interactive measure unfold their magic.

If your requirement is described by the above everything will work, but if you mean "preserve" the results of your calcualtions, you have to be careful. If your dataset is small, you can export the data from a table visual using Power BI desktop (exisiting limits are described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data). If your dataset exceeds the various limits described in the above mentioned article you just can use Paginated Reports or XMLA endpoints to overcome these limitations, both of the features mentioned require Power BI Premium.

Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Hamburg - Germany
If I answer your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
I accept Kudos :-), If you find my post helpful.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Kudos Received Badges Coming

New Kudos Received Badges Coming

Kudos to you if you earned one of these! Check your inbox for a notification.

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Learn about the award-winning innovation that was implemented across Microsoft’s Business Applications Communities.

Power Platform World Tour

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (2,280)