Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Botturovic
Frequent Visitor

Overcome data type problem in direct query

I know that direct query mode has limitations in modeling colums and data in general, but maybe you can help me to overcome this limitations in a particular case.

This is the data type format i have

Posting Date.png

and i would like to work on a report analyzing the data aggregated by years and months, but i can't duplicate, split, transform the data column in any way because of the direct query mode. So the result is like this, data not aggregated at all.

report.png

Do you have any suggestion about how i can manage this problem?

thank you if someone can help me.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can try to add calculated columns even in DirectQuery mode. On the right side in the Fields panel right-click on the table name and choose New column. Then you can simply use DAX (with several limitations) to create all columns needed, e.g.:

Year = YEAR(YourTable[Posting Date])

Month Number = MONTH(YourTable[Posting Date])

Thank you for yout help pawelpo,

i've tried to follow your instructions but i got an error message of the same type:

"this operation generates a query that is not supported in Direct Query mode."

Hi @Botturovic,

In my test, I was able to create calculated columns to generate Year column and month column. And I was able to add these two calculated columns into Axis section of the bar chart.

Year = YEAR(test04[Date])
Month = Month(test04[Date])

1.PNG

Besides, please try the Bin function to see whether it works for you.

2.PNG3.PNG

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.