Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mrothschild
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Over-summing cumulative values in card visual?

I'm very new to BI and have only vague familiarity with pivottables, so my question is likely to seem very naive.

I have a data table, which I think is pivot table and BI friendly, i.e., each row is unique but may have duplicative data from a different row.  So the data is Project A, B, C, and then Setup Costs by A, B, C  and Sales for each Quarter for each Project.  

I'm trying to create a Card Visual in BI that shows Setup Costs, but since each row of information includes Setup Costs, it's over-summing the unique values.  

So I want the Card Visual output to be 275 [=50 + 100 + 125] but instead is outputting 1100, which is the full sum of the Setup Costs column

ProjectSetup CostsQuarterSales
A5015
A50210
A50315
A50420
B10015
B100210
B100315
B100420
C125110
C125220
C125330
C125440
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I have what you're looking for. To be clear, the 1100 is expected from PowerBI. If I were you, I would consider another data structure (e.g. separate tables) for this if possible, but if you can't, you can work around it. You could always do something simple like:

Setup Costs Total = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[Setup Costs]),Sheet1[Quarter] = 1)

I wouldn't recommend this approach as it's hard-coded, and isn't very robust. I would suggest something more dynamic, such as:

Setup Costs Total 2 = SUMX(GROUPBY(Sheet1,Sheet1[Project],Sheet1[Setup Costs]),Sheet1[Setup Costs])

Both give you the 275 value you expect, but the second is a stronger option as it's dynamic based on the data. The first makes an assumption about the data structure and will break if it varies from that. Let me know if this works for you.

Cumulative Values.PNG

Thanks,
Ben

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I have what you're looking for. To be clear, the 1100 is expected from PowerBI. If I were you, I would consider another data structure (e.g. separate tables) for this if possible, but if you can't, you can work around it. You could always do something simple like:

Setup Costs Total = CALCULATE(SUM(Sheet1[Setup Costs]),Sheet1[Quarter] = 1)

I wouldn't recommend this approach as it's hard-coded, and isn't very robust. I would suggest something more dynamic, such as:

Setup Costs Total 2 = SUMX(GROUPBY(Sheet1,Sheet1[Project],Sheet1[Setup Costs]),Sheet1[Setup Costs])

Both give you the 275 value you expect, but the second is a stronger option as it's dynamic based on the data. The first makes an assumption about the data structure and will break if it varies from that. Let me know if this works for you.

Cumulative Values.PNG

Thanks,
Ben

Thanks very much.  That worked.  I was also able to eventually set the "Visual Level Filter" to "Quarter is 1", and thought I had tried that initially before posing the query but wasn't able to "apply filter" - it had been greyed out.  

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.