Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arhetyp
Helper I
Helper I

Outlook: how to link Inbox & Sent Items

Hi,

I need to calculate turnover time from mail receipt to mail response.

My issues is: how to link message from Inbox folder with the relevant message that was an answer?

Which parameters might be used to create a unique key/relation between Inbox and Sent folders?

I have checked them all in Power BI and any of them seems to be unique.

I would greatly appreciate if someone can share his experience on that.

Regards,

Arek

10 REPLIES 10
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Arek,

You can expand the Attributes in the Query editor. Then you can link them with "Conversation topic". Please give it a try.

Outlook_how_to_link_Inbox_Sent_Items

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale,

I thought about that one but I am afraid it will might not be sufficient, I have even thougt to merge it with size of mail or even size of attachment but this still can not give me the unique key.

The point is the shared mailbox will be used for daily operations, a majority of mails will come with similar name "Request" etc.

Is there maybe any simpler and more acurate solutions?:)

Regards,
Arek

Hi Arek,

Yes, the two fields in the snapshot, Attributes.References and Attributes.InternetMessageID, connect each other accurately. Please give it a try.

Outlook_how_to_link_Inbox_Sent_Items2

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hmm...

I am afraid I did not get it:)

Can you please present how to unique key should look like?

Cheers,

Arek

Hi Arek,

Which email domain do you have? Maybe it has different properties with mine. Please have a look at the column titles. We can expand the attributes to get the result.

how_to_link_Inbox_Sent_Items

Best Regards,

Dale

Hi Dale,

attributes are the same, at least here we are at the same page:)

Please let me to explain step by step what is my way of working:

1. 2 tables imported from Exchange - Inbox and relevant Sent Items shared mailboxes.

2. Then I need to assign to each mail from Inbox related Sent date - what I mean by that is to get the date/time when particular mail was actually answered.

3. To make step 2 happen I need to find a 1:1 relation between those two tables:

Relation+want.png

4. According to your proposal  I created a similar key in both tables:

image.png

5. I am afraid this combinations does not ensure us a unique key:

image.png

Am I doing sth incorrectly?

Regards,

Arek

Hi:)

can Dale or anyone advise with that issue?:)

Regards,

Arek

Hi Arek,

It's hard to create keys. The email system uses the keys to connect the emails. We can use them directly. As can see from your snapshot, the two keys in the blue squares are the same. So they are one pair. 

Then you can establish relationships between the two tables using the keys. Because you import the sent items and the received items in two tables. 

The email systems are different, I can only import all the email in one table. Your scenario is more clear. 

Best Regards,
Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Arek, 

Please share me sample PowerBi file in which you have built up this logic to calculate the TAT . I am trying this from past one week and not able to find any solution to my current project.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the logic shared!

Please help us how can we calulcate the TAT for each inbox mail from the steps that you shared. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.