Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bmathis
Frequent Visitor

Outlook .MSG as Data Source

Is there a data source option that will read an outlook MSG file?

Rather than sending the data in a table as an Excel attachment, this system sends the table directly in the message body. I've played with different data source options (text, web page), but haven't found one that can read an MSG file.

5 REPLIES 5
bmathis
Frequent Visitor

Thanks all.  VBA would be an option; connecting to the Exchange server is currently not an option here.  Emails could be sent or forwarded to a SharePoint library configured with incoming email settings; this would allow the file to be used without additional configuration -- iff PBI could read MSG files. 

You could use Microsoft Flow to save the attachments from the incoming emails to a folder or a SharePoint document library and pick up the files with Power BI Desktop from there.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted. ⇘
pqian
Employee
Employee

@bmathis If this is on an Exchange server, you can use the Exchange connector to get the message

fso
Advocate II
Advocate II

I'm afraid I don't have an answer using PowerBI. But if you store .msg files, I assume you have to open and export the files from Outlook anyway. So if you're doing that, why not use VBA to create a nicely formatted Excel file that lists the desired email contents in table format and then use that as the data source for PowerBI?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not aware of any data source for .MSG files. You could post it to Ideas  but I imagine that would be one that would be hard to generate votes for...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.