Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DCELL
Helper III
Helper III

Other users can't open my file

Hi. When other users try to open my file, they get this error message:

Unable to open document

This file uses many to many relationships or a composite model which combines DirectQuery sources and/or imported data. These models arent currently supported in Power BI Report Server.

At some point in the past, my file had a table with a dual import setting, which I changed to DirectQuery to try and solve this.

I also had a table many-to-many relationship, which I since deleted to also try and solve this issue, but the error message stays the same.

As of now there are no many-to-many relationships or tables that use Import or Dual storage modes. Only DirectQuery.

I have also had people try to Open With -> Power BI Desktop, as wel as Power BI Desktop RS. The error says "...models arent currently supported in Power BI Report Server" even when choosing the non RS Desktop version.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@DCELL - Sounds for all the world that they are on a fairly out-dated version of Power BI Desktop that does not support composite models. What are the versions of Power BI Desktop that you and they are using?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DCELL
Helper III
Helper III

We were able to find the issue, sometimes it was the version of Power BI Desktop, and other times it was that it was opening the file up in Power BI Desktop Report Server.

We all have PBI Desktop 2.72 (yellow icon), and PBI Desktop RS 2.76 (black icon).

For PBI Desktop (non RS), for some reason 2 of us are able to open both 2.72 AND 2.82, even though we only have 1 copy of PBI Desktop (Report server). In my case, when I open PBI by double-clicking on a .pbix file, it will open it in 2.82 with the new ribbon. But if I double-click PBI on my desktop, or in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin, it will open 2.72. Really strange.

PBI Desktop Report server 2.76 also can't open the files, so the solution was to right click > open with PBI Desktop (The yellow Icon, non report server). If PBI Desktop (non RS) is up to date then it will open.

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DCELL , 

You may upgrade the Power BI Desktop to the latest version 2.82.5858.1161,  and try it again.

Or you may tracing and gather log files, to turn on tracing, choose File > Options and settings > Options, select Diagnostics, and then select Enable tracing. Power BI Desktop must be running to set this option, but it's helpful for future issues associated with opening Power BI Desktop.

If you still have this issue for Power BI, you'd better create a support ticket in Power BI Support , Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET", or go to Issue forum  to get further help.

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@DCELL - Sounds for all the world that they are on a fairly out-dated version of Power BI Desktop that does not support composite models. What are the versions of Power BI Desktop that you and they are using?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.