Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lucasrm
Frequent Visitor

Organizing measures when using a shared dataset

Hello everyone,

I'm currently using a published Power BI dataset to create many reports. This dataset contains a measures empty table.

In the reports using the Power BI dataset, I create the measures needed and place them into the empty measures table. The problem is that some of these reports contains sometimes 30+ measures so it becomes really ugly and unorganized.

Inside these reports, I'd like to be able to organize the new measures by grouping/creating folders. Unfortunately, this is only possible when modifying the dataset pbix file.

Does anyone know a way around it? Is this already a published Idea that we can upvote (I couldn't find any)?

Thanks for the help,

Lucas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @lucasrm ,

Sorry that I missed this important information: connect to a shared dataset. Since it connect to a shared dataset, it will be a live connection mode. And only report-level measures can be created, no calculated column and table can be created. Therefore, there is no way to create another measure table or folder...

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lucasrm ,

Please review the content in the following links, hope it can help you create proper measure table/folder.

Creating Measure Table and Folders inside in Power BI Desktop

Measure Tables in Power BI

Power BI - Organize Measures with Measure Table

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yiruan-msft ,
As I explained in the post, none of this is possible when using a shared Power BI dataset.

Best regards,

Hi @lucasrm ,

Sorry that I missed this important information: connect to a shared dataset. Since it connect to a shared dataset, it will be a live connection mode. And only report-level measures can be created, no calculated column and table can be created. Therefore, there is no way to create another measure table or folder...

Best Regards

Hi @v-yiruan-msft ,

Yes... I don't see why one one is talking about it. We are able to create report-level measures but we cannot organize it. The feature literally exists but we are blocked from using it.

This is really the only thing that is turning my experience with a live connection quite unpleasant.

Thank you anyway for the answer,

Best regards,

Lucas

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@lucasrm , If I got it correctly, You can create subfolder. But for that, you need to have access to the model view.

In the model view, you can select a few measures and under properties, you can give a subfolder name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9oDIL8nbu0

But in live dataset, you might not get this view, check on right click in field in data or report view

Hi @amitchandak , I do have access to the model view but I'm not able to create folders or place measures into folders :

We can see that the Display folder is grayed out.

examplemeasure.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

live report doesnt allow to create a folder for local measures. This is kinda trash from Microsof along with not creating calculated columns or groups

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.