Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dgwilson
Resolver III
Resolver III

Oracle data load speed into Power BI Desktop

Hi there... I seeking some advice with a loading speed experience with Oracle Database loads into Power BI Desktop.

Specifically I’m loading data from an oracle database… I have permission allocated etc…
It’s taking in the order of 1 hour to load 2 million rows. I don’t see 2 million as a lot of rows and believe it should be going significantly faster.

When this is fully loaded… I’d been needed to load 48 million rows. Gulp.

Now I admit that I can add a where clause to the select statement. That will happen later. And I can probably be selective about the columns that are loaded. And I’ll have to do both of those.

For now … I’m concerned that it takes 1 hour to load 2 million rows. Would this be a normal experience?

This is In the office, LAN connected (Gigabit), loading oracle database to Power BI desktop.
HP laptop 24GB RAM.
February and March desktop releases.
… Import… Databases… Oracle… … so Oracle driver I guess.

Any advice on where to look for performance measure and/or performance tuning?

Any ideas?

- David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The parallel load commands didn't work for me - the schema needs to be configured to deliver for that.

I have performed a test foing a SELECT <field>, <field>, <field> from <tableName> - i.e. only a selected numebr of fields rather than a SELECT * from <tablename> and I can say that 1.5M rows loaded in about 2.5 minutes - way better than 30+ minutes.

For me the full SELECT * is OK for investigation and understanding the dataset. When it's ramped up to a production scenario it is a good idea to only load what is needed.

- David

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MallikarjunaBan
Helper II
Helper II

thanks @dgwilson will Implement and update the status

MallikarjunaBan
Helper II
Helper II

any break thru for this issue please reply

any break thru for this issue please reply

Nothing specific. 

Advice is to only import the columns you need. Having a narrow table will make a huge difference. And then only the rows you need - that clearly helps tool.

After that I believe that in the July 2023 releas ethere are some changes to the Oracle Connector - so it is worth checking out what may have changed there.

- David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I recently worked with SSIS +Oracle combination. I had the same performance issue with the  Oracle OLEDB provider. Fortunately, we have Attunity connectors to Oracle that use a different mechanism to extract or load data to oracle much much faster than the OLEDB. I dont think we have the same support for Power BI (at least I havent found something yet).  May be you can try using /+PARALLEL(X)+/ hints in your select statements.

The parallel load commands didn't work for me - the schema needs to be configured to deliver for that.

I have performed a test foing a SELECT <field>, <field>, <field> from <tableName> - i.e. only a selected numebr of fields rather than a SELECT * from <tablename> and I can say that 1.5M rows loaded in about 2.5 minutes - way better than 30+ minutes.

For me the full SELECT * is OK for investigation and understanding the dataset. When it's ramped up to a production scenario it is a good idea to only load what is needed.

- David

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.