Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

vakshi
Frequent Visitor

Oracle connection error

Hi all,

I'm getting this error message when trying to get data from oracle DB.
the error message appears when I choose "Oracle", Before choosing the relevant DB and user/password:

"The recommended provider ('Oracle.DataAccess.Client') is not installed. You can continue with your current provider, however it has been deprecated and may not work properly."

I'm using oracle client version 10.2.0.3.0, 32 bit. works fine with other apps like "Toad for oracle", plsql dev ...

Power BI desktop version 2.38.4491.282 32-bit - Aug16.

Other users also encounter the same problem.

any ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks

Vakshi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@vakshi

You need to install the recommended provider which can be found in following links.

Please take a look at this document, it should be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the office I am working at, some of my collegues are having issues with the Oracle Client 64 bit. We have tried to uninstall and install but it is throwing the same error message back at them. I do not have this issue, however I have the same type of Oracle installed onto my computer. We need to be able to edit queries for reports using the data from Oracle's database. The error they are getting says " An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'The provider being used is depricated: 'System.Data.OracleClient' - and then a link for troubleshooting follows this message. In my opinion, I think that they do not have the right permissions by the company to be able to access the certain server, but if there is anything else that anyone would think of please let me know.

rick_macleod204
Regular Visitor

doesn't matter how many times i try to install / uninstall ...change drivers ... install Just ODAC via

install.bat all c:\oracle odac

... I cannot get Power BI to Connect to Oracle DB. ...everything else works  fine. 

I have both the 32bit and 64bit oracle drivers installed (32 needed for other applications) - Is Power BI getting confused as to where the correct driver is - is there an optimal order of environment variables to get Power BI to recognize the correct driver - ALL other applications on my workstation connect without issue - however Power BI is the only one attempting to connect via ODAC . 

Is there any resolution to this error ....OTHER than the very uninformative solution provided? 

Rick, not sure if you are still having this issue, but all microsoft products will use ODAC

Steps I got it to work 

1) Match your "driver" to your application bit type. So if you downloaded PowerBI 32 bit you need to install 32 bit ODAC driver

2) Only install the 12.2 files regardless of which Oracle you have on premesis

3) I reccomend using the XCOPY files, for some reason the GUI installer worked only half the time

4) XCOPY instrucstions are included inside the ZIP, but heres an abridged version

... a) unzip to C:\

... b) open CMD as ADMINISTRATOR (don't forget this step)

... c) naviagate to unzipped folder inside CMD (type in "CD C:\[insert your folder name here]")

... d) type in "install_odpm.bat C:\Oracle"

If you want all the options the installer can do, just type in "install_odpm.bat" and it will show you the options

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-manage-oracle

Jamey
Helper I
Helper I

For my experience, I installed on a 32-bit system and one on a 64-bit system. It's the same install on each except you must use the matching bit version of the Oracle products that matches the PowerBI Desktop bit version.

In my case I installed the following Oracle Client on my respective installs:

32-bit  win32_12201_client.zip

64-bit winx64_12201_client.zip

both can be found at the link below:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/oracle12c-windows-3633015.ht...

Note: in my case I change the default path of the install to C:\app\Oracle\product\12.2.0\client_1 but it doesn't matter where you put it.

After installing the client I had to install the following: (IT WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT THIS!)

32-bit ODAC121021Xcopy_32bit.zip 

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/utilsoft-087491.html

64-bit ODAC121024_x64.zip 

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html

To install the above you must open a Administator Command Prompt and change to the path that you extracted the files to. Then run this command:

install all C:\app\Oracle\product\12.2.0\client_1 odac (the path is where you installed the above client to)

you also need to make sure the following is included in the 'path' of the Environment Variables:

C:\app\Oracle\product\12.2.0\client_1;C:\app\Oracle\product\12.2.0\client_1\bin (or wherever your path is loacted)

You need to have a TNS_ADMIN entry in the Environment Variables that points to the directory that the tns_names.ora file lives.

This all worked for me and hope it helps you as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still confused. Do I need to install this on my PC, or do I need to install on the server? in my company the oracle server is in another computer, and I am only an end-user.

You need to install this on your pc where you have power bi desktop setup. 

TinHau
Frequent Visitor

Our Oracle drivers are distributed by packages within the company. Based on my information we currently have Oracle 12.2.0.1 drivers on the clients. However when I try to connect with Power BI to an Oracle database I get this message:

DataSource.Error: The provider being used is deprecated:

'System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater'

And later on

Oracle database

The recommended provider ('Oracle.DataAccess.Client') is not installed. You can continue with your current provider, however it has been deprecated and may not work correctly.

Confused from these messages. Could anybody help me out ?

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@vakshi

You need to install the recommended provider which can be found in following links.

Please take a look at this document, it should be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thank you my issue also same is solved.

We need to download this file "64-bit ODAC 12c Release 4 (12.1.0.2.4) for Windows x64" it will provide setp file install it configure it according to your credentials.

I am getting a message that for ODAC 12c Release 4 (12.1.0.2) installer we need Visual Studio. Which version of visual studio should we use? I tried the community version, and I still keep getting the same message.

Hi, you might be downloading and using the wrong connector, I had the same issue this week. 

Try creating a tnsnames.ora file in the client-> clientsname-> oracle version->client_1->Network->Admin directory 

Or use the ODCA wizard to create one: 

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html 

If you prompted to install VS, that means you ahve installed the wrong connector from Oracle. 

Maybe this will work for you as well. 

I have written a post about my expirience: 

http://www.yanaberkovich.com/Blog/connecting-powerbi-desktop-to-oracle/ 

Is this article still avilable? The link is dead and an archive was not available

Thanks Yana, copying my tnsnames.ora file in the client-> clientsname-> oracle version->client_1->Network->Admin directory worked like a charm.

This article save my life! lol Tks!

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Please see this blog post to trouleshoot the problem.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-connect-oracle-database/

You need to install 32 bit version of 

for connection purposes. 

More information is on the blog post.

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.