Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oracle connection error

Getting the following error message: "Oracle.DataAccess.Client is not installed.  The provider being used is deprecated: 'System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater".   When trying to connect to oracle from Power BI desktop.

I have oracle client installed.  How do i get Power BI desktop to point to the oracle client installed instead of using the default?

4 REPLIES 4
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Please check if the correct Oracle client software is installed. The Oracle client software you use depends on which version of Power BI Desktop you've installed: 32-bit or 64-bit. It also depends on your version of Oracle server. Here are the supported Oracle version:

• Oracle Server 9 and later
  • Oracle Data Access Client (ODAC) software 11.2 and later

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Install the driver given on the page. -https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-connect-oracle-database

2. Driver (Unzip the file) has read me where instructions are given. Follow those.

3. Make sure you give path into windows environment variable of the install folder. Else it will not work even if the driver is installed. I missed the third step and keep on struggling for some time.

pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Your question has the answer in it.

You need to install the client only(Install correct version of it). Don't install the server as it will slow down your system considerabely.

Once Client is installed it will create a ODBC connection which will enable you to connect to Oracle DB.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
edhans
Super User
Super User

You must have a recent version installed and configured per this article. It appears the client version you have is no longer supported by Power BI.

If it is a current version, I hate to say it, but you may need to uninstall one or both of Power BI Desktop and the client and reinstall. It could just be that WIndows has borked one of them and the configuration settings aren't correct. I would try reinstalling over the top of it before uninstall/reinstall though. And reboot after the install, reinstall, or uninstall so everything is clean before the next step.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.