Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JulienF
Frequent Visitor

Oracle + PowerBI = DB crashes

Hello Guys,

I have got a big issue with oracle DB connection.

I have any problem to connect Power Bi to the oracle DB. In power query I have previews over all the tables but when I close the query to load the tables it doesn't work and it crashes my Oracle DB!!!!

I haven't build that DB but it is aproduction DB so not a well DW in a star schema model...

Any idea?

Thx,

J.

5 REPLIES 5
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JulienF,

1. Did you install the Oracle client in your computer? You can connect to Oracle DB without it, but it's recommended. Reference: powerbi-desktop-connect-oracle-database.Oracle + PowerBI = DB crashes.JPG

2. What's the version of your Oracle DB?

>>>Supported versions: Oracle 9 and later, Oracle client software 8.1.7 and later.

3. I guess something could be wrong with your Oracle DB. What Power BI could do is some Select Queries at most. There is few chances to make Oracle DB crash.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft !

Thx for your reply!

Yes I installed Oracle client! ( But when I launch Power BI and get data from Oracle I always have the same message box you pasted in your message...maybe I didtn't install correctly Oracle client, who knows 🙂 )

The company works with oracle 10g so it would work perfectly!

Thx for your help!

J.

Hi @JulienF,

I tested after installing Oracle client. The prompt window is gone. That means you didn't install the Oracle client properly.What is version of your Power BI Desktop? The client should have the same -bit version of Desktop. Please try to install the client properly.

Maybe you can find out what happened from the Oracle Server. 

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi!

Thx for your help!

I have the lastest version of PowerBI ( 64bit version)  and installed the lastest version of Oracle client ( 64Bit version) . Which one do you have installed? The Xcopy?

Thx,

J.

Hi @JulienF,

Only this one: ODAC122010_x64.zip - 415 MB. Please check your installation.

Best Regards!

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.