Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ashleycarrigan
Regular Visitor

Oracle - New Gateway An invalid connection string has at least one of the passed arguments ..

We have recently configured a new gateway to replace an existing one which was situated on the same machine as the oracle database.

I have configured the new machine to house the gateway and installed the gateway, then configured Oracle 11g 64Bit client on the machine. (As i read it is best for the client version to match the database). Though normal clients are using 32Bit, i dont know if that will make a difference?

I have then gone in to the admin portal and added the connections under the gateway which say they are connected fine. The issue arises just after publishing a report that looks to DirectQuery one of the oracle connections through this new gateway. Publishing to the old gateway it works fine. Also if the report is recreated and 'import' is selected it will refresh on demand without issues.

The error we receive is when we go onto the report on the powerBI web portal - clicking the report just brings up a big white window with the below issue.

An invalid connection string has at least one of the passed arguments which does not meet the parameter specification. Please check the data source connection string.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity IDa31aae1d-ee70-4686-9bd3-a6f905eb11d9
Request IDbe07bea6-5983-5eef-61ba-763314e0f00a
Correlation ID709d3229-931b-a720-d8aa-9b6293679334
TimeTue Jun 12 2018 16:46:59 GMT+0100 (GMT Summer Time)
Version13.0.5557.154

any help greatly welcomed as this is a real headache and im not sure where to start!

thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ashleycarrigan
Regular Visitor

this was fixed after installing the ODP.NET for 11.2.0.4 , maybe the oracle client version i was using was too old (11.2.0.1 on an 11.2.0.3 database)

After installing this client and updating the $oracle_home and path variables this issue was fixed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ashleycarrigan
Regular Visitor

this was fixed after installing the ODP.NET for 11.2.0.4 , maybe the oracle client version i was using was too old (11.2.0.1 on an 11.2.0.3 database)

After installing this client and updating the $oracle_home and path variables this issue was fixed.

"this was fixed after installing the ODP.NET for 11.2.0.4"

According to the documentation DirectQuery is not supported under v. 12. So this must not be the correct answer.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Workarounds-for-using-Direct-Query-with-Oracle-11g/td-p...

@ashleycarrigan,

Glad to hear the issue is solved, you can accept helpful replies as answer to close this thread.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ashleycarrigan,

What version of Power BI Desktop do you use? And what version of Oracle server do you connect to in Power BI Desktop? Power BI Desktop DirectQuery mode supports version 12 or higher Oracle.

In addition, for On-premises data gateway, use the following link to download and install the 64-bit Oracle client:

64-bit ODAC 12.2c Release 1 (12.2.0.1.0) for Windows x64

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.