Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dennisr
Helper I
Helper I

'Oracle.Databases.Client' could not be instantiated

In PowerBI, I can "Get Data", and the columns appear in the "Fields" section. However, when I select a field, this error appears:

"Could not load the data for this visual"

Error:The managed provider 'Oracle.DataAccess.Client' could not be instantiated. Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed.

(I suspect it could be a 32 vs 64 bit thing, but not sure how I should resolve it)

20 REPLIES 20
niroberts
Frequent Visitor

Folks - I ran into this issue and have been troubleshooting all afternoon.

My initial config...

• PBI desktop 64bit (june 2017 release) installed
  • existing 11g 32bit Oracle client
  • new 12c Oracle Data Access client installed
  • path updated to place new 12c Oracle home first

Even after downloading and installing the ODAC 12C and updating my path, my PBI desktop continued to throw errors when trying to build a viz with direct connection to Oracle Database.

I downloaded the 32bit version of PBI Desktop and it works as expected... no issue.

My question is - can we have 32bit and 64bit Oracle clients side-by-side whereby we are able to use PBI Desktop 64bit and Visual Studio (SSDT) to develop SSRS reports?  The PBI desktop wants the 64bit ODAC and Visual Studio wants the 32bit client!!

Help please...

Thanks - Nick 

We have the 32-bits and the 64- bits oracle driver installed on our machines. We use 64 bits Power BI Desktop (may release). We use Excel 32 bit. And both tools can connect to an Oracle database.

In the PATH variable we have first the 32-bits settings and after that the 64-bits settings.

Thanks @Knud - I actually worked through the issue last night.

In my haste (and ignorance)  I didn't install the full Oracle client 64 bit - only the ODAC components.

So, after deinstalling all Oracle clients I did the following which resolved the issues:

1. Install Oracle 12c 64bit Client into a specific directory ie. "c:\oracle64" 

Oracle Database Client (12.1.0.2.0) for Microsoft Windows (x64)

2. Install Oracle 12c Oracle Data Access Components 64 bit into the same directory (c:\oracle64).

64-bit ODAC 12.2c Release 1 (12.2.0.1.0) for Windows x64

3.  Install Oracle 12c 32bit Client into another specific directory ie. "c:\oracle32"

Oracle Database Client (12.1.0.2.0) for Microsoft Windows (32-bit)

The results are good for my situation.  I am now able to connect to an Oracle database from PowerBI desktop 64bit without issue.  Additionally I can build visualizations over the connection.  Finally my Visual Studio projects which use oracle connections also function as expected - using the 32bit Oracle client.

~Nick

pqian
Employee
Employee

@dennisr you need to install the Oracle ODP.net driver:

32bit: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/dotnet/utilsoft-086879.html

64bit: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/windows/downloads/index-090165.html

The ODC library has been deprecated.

I should have mentioned... I had already done that.

I installed  ODAC112040Xcopy_64bit.zip

I already had instant client 11 installed prior, both 32 & 64 bit, and my PATH had the 64 bit folder before the 32 bit folders.

After I installed ODAC, into a completely new folder (c:\Oracle), I put c:\Oracle and c:\Oracle\bin into the front of my PATH and removed the prior folders from the path.

I'm striking the same error.  It seems like an obvious bug to me that you can navigate and preview the data using whatever drivers, but then you cant generate a visual.

@dennisr - did those steps your described in your last post solve your problem?

I just didn't have time to continue playing with it, as I was just evaluating PowerBI.  So, I just did "Import" rather than direct.  I stil suspect it's related to some 32 vs 64 bit issue.

Thanks Dennis.  I think my machine has both Oracle 32 and 64 bit drivers, but they were the older 11GR2 client.

Following that tip from @pquian I downloaded the "64-bit ODAC 12c Release 4 (12.1.0.2.4) for Windows x64" (ODAC121024_x64.zip), and installed it using the default settings.  It now seems to be working.

It still seems like a clear bug to me that you can connect and model using some Oracle Drivers, but can't visualise until other drivers are installed.  Surely all PBI tasks should use the same drivers? There are lots of other risks e.g. inconsistent drivers, performance, TNSNAMES configurations.

OK it worked ... for a while, all the way through to PBI Web querying via the Enterprise Gateway (after I installed ODAC121024_x64 on that machine). 

But today it is working in PBI Desktop, but after re-publishing to PBI Web every visual returns an error:

Couldn't load the data for this visual

We reached the enterprise gateway, but the gateway can't access the on-premises data source.
Please try again later or contact support and provide the following details to help resolve your issue faster.
Error CodeDM_GWPipeline_Gateway_DataSourceAccessError

Digging into the PBI Gateway log I'm seeing lots of errors "Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider.  It may not be installed.".

From the Settings / Gateways page the connection tests OK.  I tried restarted the PBI Gateway service.

I instaled the ODAC121024_x64.zip.   I verified that my PATH was updated with the leading 

c:\OracleClient\product\12.1.0\client_1;c:\OracleClient\product\12.1.0\client_1\bin;

I still get the same error with the visual.

I "frowned" the error this time, and got a reply back...

...This is an issue several customers have hit. We've fixed it in the upcoming release....

[I asked for ETA, and they said ...]

...our monthly release will be available on Thursday, May 26th. You will be able to download it at:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

Knud
Frequent Visitor

I have exactly the same problem.

The Power BI Desktop version I use is 2.36.4434.381 64-bit (juni 2016).

So the problem is still not solved?

Problem exists at this moment at our company when files are based on direct query. Still looking for the solution. Any help????

Fout Power BI.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Installing the ODAC client resolved our issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hyperchef1969 , i also have same problem for direct query, is it solved for you.

If yes, can you please let me know 

Thanks,

Soumya

Check if server password is not expired. That was the problem in our case.

Topgun
Regular Visitor

Hi All,

I still get this error. We installed ODAC 12c release and installed Oracle Data Provider for .Net 12.1.0.2.0. And from Power BI Edit Query, I preview data, but when I create Visual report, I got error 

Error Message:
The managed provider 'Oracle.DataAccess.Client' could not be instantiated. Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed.

Here is detail. Did I miss any setup? Appreciate any help. thx

Tom

Actually it's working fine for me on multiple machines.  The key seems to be installing and configuring that 64-bit ODAC client driver on all machines.

Hi,

I faced same issue now. I have ODAC 12c installed, and my Power BI desktop version is Version: 2.42.4611.901 64-bit (January, 2017). In Power BI desktop. I can view data in Edit Query windows, but when I added to visual, I got error The managed provider 'Oracle.DataAccess.Client' could not be instantiated. Unable to find the requested .Net Framework Data Provider. It may not be installed. I saw you solve the issue by configure ODAC, here is what I have ODAC component installed. Not sure missed anything. 

PowerBIOracle01.PNG

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Tom

Is your Oracle install 64-bit?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.