Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mdex
Resolver I
Resolver I

Oracle Connection error 'Oracle.DataAcess.Client' Not Installed

I have been using PBI Desktop RS with an On-Premesis server for about a year now. My company is now moving to E5 licences so I'd like to start using PBI Desktop with cloud based reporting.

With Desktop RS I have no issues connecting to an oracle db, but with PBI Desktop I get the following error.

"The recommended provider ('Oracle.DataAccess.Client') is not installed. You can continue with your current provider, however it has been deprecated and may not work properly."

I can click ok and enter the server details on the next screen but when attempting to connect get the error....

Details: "The provider being used is deprecated: 'System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.'. Please visit https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=272376 to install the official provider."

My understanding is that I already have this otherwise Desktop RS wouldn't work!?

The Desktop RS and Desktop versions are different as dictated by the managers of the RS.

Desktop RS = Version: 2.76.5678.1521 64-bit (January 2020)

Desktop = Version: 2.84.802.0 64-bit (August 2020)

My ODAC version should be ODAC122011_x64

Anyone able to shed any light on this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks all, I removed everything relating to Oracle and reinstalled.

Now working ok.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @mdex 

You will need the latest OBDC driver. To do that you will have to install / update your oracle client. There are upgrades releases to the way a driver connects so updating oracle client will help you resolve this issue.

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile

Thanks all, I removed everything relating to Oracle and reinstalled.

Now working ok.

Hi, @mdex 

Great to hear the problem got resolved! Could you accept your reply above as solution to close this thread?

Other community members will easily find the solution when they get the same issue.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mdex , Not very clear. as the desktop version is higher is needs the latest version of the oracle driver, that is what I can get from it.

I thought that until I found....

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-connect-oracle-database#installing-th...

Supported Oracle versions:

• Oracle Data Access Client (ODAC) software 11.2 and later

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.