Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lo_p_ez
Helper I
Helper I

Optional FILTER in CALCULATE

Similarly to the Basket Analysis  DAX pattern model, I have 1 fact for Sales, 1 dimension for Product and an extra dimension for Filter Product.

I want to use the Filter Product dimension to exclude products chosen by the user. I made it work with this DAX formula:

Sales =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( Sales['Sales'] ),
    FILTER (
        Product,
        NOT ( 'Product'['ProductName'] IN VALUES ( 'FilterProduct'['ProductName'] ) )
    )
)

This works as long as the user has already chosen a Product to exclude on FilterProduct slicer. But if nothing has been selected, the calculation will show blank, rather than just show everything. I wonder if there's a way to handle this gracefully. An idea I had was to create a variable and see if FilterProduct ISFILTERED(). If so, copy&paste the above with the FILTER() on  SWITCH statement, if not, just skip the FILTER(). But this isn't great, because it duplicates code, and if I was to add another optional filter (e.g. SalesRegion), I'd had to pre-calculate all the combinations (e.g. SalesRegion & Product, just SalesRegion, just Product, none).

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @lo_p_ez,

Based on your description, please try out the function VAR like this.

Sales =
VAR temp =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( Sales['Sales'] ),
        FILTER (
            Product,
            NOT ( 'Product'['ProductName'] IN VALUES ( 'FilterProduct'['ProductName'] ) )
        )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( ISFILTERED ( 'table'[SalesRegion] ), temp, 0 )

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-jiascu-msft

Maybe I didn't express it well. The problem here is that if the VALUES() doesn't return anything  (i.e. the user didn't pick any item to exclude) the whole calculation breaks.

Also, the reason why I thought of optional filter arguments is to avoid having to handle every possible combination. If you have only 1 filter to exclude you can handle this by building 2 calculation variables: 1 with the filter for when FilterProduct ISFILTERED(); and 1 without the exclusion filter.

However, if you have 2 filters to exclude (e.g. FilterProduct and FilterRegion) then you have to build 4 calculation varibles. 1 with no filter, 1 with just filter on FilterProduct, 1 with just filter on FilterRegion, 1 with both filters. This doesn't scale very well...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.